Shelf life of crushed grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My cousin ordered a Velvet Rooster kit and he was sent an extra pound of Munich malt that is not needed. It is crushed and I thought about just buying the rest of what needed to make myself one.

How long do crushed grains last? Even if I ordered the grains tonight, the crushed Munich would probably sit for a week until the other grains arrived. Would you still order the other grains or use the Munich in another brew? I hate to see it go to waste.

Crushed grains will last a while if you keep them in a cool, dry, dark spot. I'm currently drinking a beer that I brewed last month from grains that were crushed last May. I don't notice any off flavors at all. Your crushed grains will be fine for a week.

I've had crushed grains last up to 6 months never tried it after that point though. As the above poster said your storage condition is key.

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

2 months is a good figure. I started AG by doing a lot of smashes so I would just order a whole bunch of pale ale malt crushed since I did not have a mill. In a plastic bag, zip-tied, in a bucket in a 60 degree basement. Tried to push as much air out as I could. Started to get slightly stale after 8-9 weeks. Still usable for another month or so but not optimal

Store it dry, dry, dry. Grains in a moist environment can encourage all sorts of microbes to grow on them and in them. Add dried rice to the storage box to absorb moisture and store the grains away in the dark.

Thanks for the replies everybody. One more question....

I looked at NB's recipe for the Rooster and see the Munich malt is made by Briess (Briess Munich 10L). I've looked around here about Munich SMaSH recipes and see some posts saying to avoid the Briess Munich because it is a 6 row malt and harder to convert its starches on it own because of that. I could do a Velvet Rooster, but I would rather do something else so my cousin and me have that much more variety.

I don't have to do a SMaSH, but if you guys know a good recipe to get rid of a pound of Munich, I'm game.

Back