SG Reading for a Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1852

Reaction score
I am brewing my first Stout. I started out with a OG reading of 1.056. It has been in the fermenter for two weeks now (very little activity through the bubbler at all) and reads at 1.012 (it had the same reading about 4-5 days ago). Is 1.012 in the range for a stout? The initial gravity reading seemed a little higher than what I have normally seen for my last couple of projects (IPA and a wheat beer). Curiouse as this is my first stout. I hope to bottle it and age it for next winter.

I just brewed a double chocolate stout with an OG of 1.092, just transfered it to a secondary with a gravity reading of 1.030. I did an oatmeal milk stout a while back that had an OG of 1.084 and bottled it @ 1.018
At the 4 month point it was great and did get better with age. Its to bad that by the 6 month point it was gone. I would be curious to see how it was at the year mark

In my limited experience, Stouts do tend to have a higher OG reading and you should see a reduction in the SG of 40-50 points, depending on the amount of sugars and such in the wort. I just did a cherry stout myself and my OG reading was at 1.071 and FG reading at bottling time was 1.021. As far as your FG reading, you should be fine as long as you make sure that the fermentation process is complete. Take a reading over 3 days and if it stays the same, then its time to bottle. Good luck on that stout, let me know how it turns out. If its good, please share the recipie, as I am a stout head myself.

Thanks....from the sound of your post, looks like I can expect some higher numbers. Smells pretty good so far. I have 28 (25 oz) bottles of an IPA, so I may have enough time to let this stout sit for a while...lol...

The stout I just made was in primary for 5 days and was transferred to the secondary for 2.5 weeks. Although my next batch, I think I may want to let it sit for 3-4 weeks. It mellowed ALOT after 2.5 weeks and it was delicious right out of the secondary at bottling time.

Back