SG Question for First Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
Jut got 5 gallons unpasturized fresh cider that currently is at 1.05 au natural. How much brown sugar would you suggest to get the SG to 1.06-ish? I'll be using Nottingham and force-carbing in the keg.

My 2nd question is - What do you think my chances of having something palatable by Thanksgiving is?

Cheers

AT

Sugar is 46 points per gallon, so one pound in five gallons is ~9 points.

Very small, but better if you don't add any sugar.

Thx - as this is my first cider, would this starting at 1.05 be something palatable by the end of November?

Cheers

AT

you will be able to drink it by Thanksgiving but the longer it sits the better it will taste. I have 5 gals/Nottingham that has sat for a year and it is much better then it was last November.

I'll tell you what...to me, if a cider is properly made, it is palatable the second it is done fermenting :D ...but it does get better with age. After you keg this one, you should taste it, make adjustments and brew up a second batch for next year! ...that is if you can keep it away for that long :D

Back