Session red RyePA malt bill critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
My LHBS recently got some Bestmalz Red X that I was hoping to use. I also wanted to brew a session IPA soon, so I decided to combine both into one project. I know session IPAs are supposed to be more malty than regular IPAs so the low gravity can counteract the hops. Since I have never done a session IPA and since I have never used Red X, I don't know if this will be malty enough. What do you guys think?

3 gallon batch, 1.046 OG

3.5 lb Red X
1.5 lb Briess malted rye
0.25 lb flaked rye
0.25 lb Thomas Fawcett crystal rye
0.05 lb Roasted barley

i just used red x to make an Amber. It's got a huge Munich taste and aroma to it. So no worries about it being malty.
And that's a lot of rye. I would pick one type and limit it to 10% of the grain bill.
And you don't really need the roasted barley. The red x will be red enough. Shoot for a SRM between 11-13 and it will be red.
And it's not that they are more malty. The key to a great session IPA is lots of late hopping try to get 90% of your IBUs from 5 min and the whirlpool. And dry hop it heavily like a standard IPA.

Back