Session Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers,

Please take a look at my next brew! Let me know what you think.

Drunken Sailor Session Pale ale

BH: 65% eff.
Mash: Infusion at 153*F for 60min
OG: 1.047
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.6
SRM: 7
IBU: 47
Yeast: American Ale 1056 at 64*F

Malt:
2-row, 7lb 70%
Vienna, 1lb 10%
Munich Lt., 1lb 10%
Crystal 40L, .5lb 5% (Have it on hand)
Carapils, .5lb 5% (Have it on hand, thinking of replacing with Wheat)

Hop LEAF's:
Cascade, 1oz 60min -- 27ibu
Centennial, .5oz 20min -- 11ibu
Cascade, .5oz 10min -- 5ibu
Centennial, .5 5min -- 4ibu
Cascade, 1.5oz Whirlpool for 15-20min

Irish Moss, 1tsp at 10min

Let me know what you think!!

Thanks in advance!!

Malt:
2-row, 7lb 70%
Vienna, 1lb 10%
Munich Lt., 1lb 10%
Crystal 40L, .5lb 5% (Have it on hand)
Carapils, .5lb 5% (Have it on hand, thinking of replacing with Wheat)

Unless you have a darker crystal I would probably drop it. The Munich, Vienna and warm mash temp should give you a nicely balanced beer but 4-6 OZ of like Crystal 90 or darker might add some depth of color.

You did not list what the IBU's were but on lower grav beers with a clean yeast you do have to watch your bittering additions so just keep that in mind if you are coming in anywhere north of 30 IBU.

Roger that!
The Crystal 40 is just some malt I have on hand, and I would like to use it up. Totally forgot to add the IBU's. It will be on the high end of a pale ale according to Brewers Friend around 47ibu. It is ok if it is a little bitter for me, but I figure it shouldn't be to bad the late additions.

Roger that!
The Crystal 40 is just some malt I have on hand, and I would like to use it up. Totally forgot to add the IBU's. It will be on the high end of a pale ale according to Brewers Friend around 47ibu. It is ok if it is a little bitter for me, but I figure it shouldn't be to bad the late additions.

Just back the 60 minute addition to 45...will actually add more hop "flavor" and drop the bitterness a tiny bit.

I've found any hops you add at 30min or more you can't taste at all. For all my recipes, I'll do a single 60min addition, and all the rest of the hops go in at 20min or less. I think a 45min addition is a waste. You wont taste it and you dont get as much bitterness.

For a hop forward ale, I will add almost all the hops at flameout and do a hopstand. This is the single best technique I've come across to make your homebrews have the hop character of commercials brews

So, I kind of abandoned the idea of trying to do a "Session" style, and I am just shooting for a good balanced malty pale ale with good hop aroma and flavor. I have been tweaking the recipe a little more based on some more reading and research. This is what I have now:

Drunken Sailor Pale Ale :rockin:

Batch: 5 Gal All Grain
OG: 1.051 FG: 1.013
ABV: 5% IBU: 43 SRM: 8
Yeast: Amer. Ale 1056 at 64*F for 2-3 weeks (no secondary, straight to keg)
Mash: Infusion, shooting for 152-154 for 60min (still figuring out my system)

Grain:

2-row, 6lbs
Munich Lt. 10, 2lbs
Vienna, 2lbs
Caramel 40L, .5lbs
White Wheat, .5lbs

Total: 11lbs

Hops:

Centennial, 0.5oz 60min 20.5 IBU
Cascade, 1.0oz 20min 17.4 IBU
Cascade, 0.5oz 10min 5.2 IBU
Centennial, 0.5oz Whirlpool
Cascade, 0.5oz Whirlpool

Total: 3.0oz

Other:

Irish Moss, 1tsp 10min

It could still be considered a session with around 5%. However, my efficiency is getting better with each batch. This is based on 65%, if I hit 70% or even 75% it will be out of the session range for sure.

- Thanks everybody!

Back