Session IPA feedback... Fruity and juicy is the goal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
Thoughts? Looking for something NEIPA in flavor but not necessarily hazy. I think I might have a wee bit too much going on in the grain bill. I have a pound of Falconers Flight which explains the hop choice...
Session.JPG

For neipa I'd make flaked/grain ratio closer to 40/60. I like FF myself so your fine there. You may want to try a less attenuation yeast also such as Wyeast 1318. One can nick pic about others but the recipe seems fine and it'll be a clearer beer for sure as is.

The real challenge is keeping oxygen out and eliminating post fermentation diacetyl. The modern technique is to add all the dry hops in about day 2 fermentaion and closed loop aka no air, transfers.

I really don’t think you need such an elaborate grist, but it won’t hurt anything. I suspect if you made this with the GP, a couple lb of flakes oats, and maybe the honey malt, it would be indistinguishable.

Falconer’s Flight isn’t going to be quite that NEIPA juiciness; more of a citrus/dank thing. Still sounds very tasty to me. If you do want to accentuate the juiciness more, I would either leave out the bittering charge or reduce it to 5-10 IBUs. I find the big whirlpool and dry hop additions give so much aroma and flavor that the extra bittering kinda fights. If that makes sense...

I found T-58 to be low attenuating yeast. Would that add a fruity dimension you'd enjoy? It may not be right to the style you mentioned, but I like Belgian IPAs.

Back