Serving question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessebaseball

Reaction score
Hi just got my new keg and been practicing using it. It is a 2.5 gal corney with a 5lb co2 that fits in the refrigerator outside. I'm using it to serve water into syrup for sodas. What I do is connect the co2 for about 2 days at about 40 psi than attach my picnic faucet (about 5ft of line) to the keg and shoot water into the mug with syrup. I don't mind the force of the water hitting the mug but I wonder if leaving the faucet connected will cause a co2 leak? The faucet also leaks if I'm not carful

Also would like to know if I should leave the faucet connected or attach only to serve.
Also if there is another faucet that does not leak as much that is avail.

A friend of mine told me at higher pressures her picnic tap leaks a little too. she takes it off when she isn't serving.

I use perlick faucets and they don't leak at 40 psi. Also I have about 15 or 20 feet of 3/16" I.d. hose to reduce the flow. This way my carb pressure and serving pressure are the same!

ZenBrew said:
A friend of mine told me at higher pressures her picnic tap leaks a little too. she takes it off when she isn't serving.

I use perlick faucets and they don't leak at 40 psi. Also I have about 15 or 20 feet of 3/16" I.d. hose to reduce the flow. This way my carb pressure and serving pressure are the same!

Will the perlick faucet work if its not permanently mounted? I will use it loose on the hose like the picnic tap will it serve ok?

If you leave the picnic tap hooked up at 40PSI, you can indeed wind up squirting your liquid out.
I re filled my CO2 last weekend and since the beer was a little flat from the pressure going down when the last tank went empty, I hooked up the new tank and cranked it up a bit.
I intended to come back in 20 minutes or so and shut the gas off, but it was late and I forgot.
The next day I opened the freezer and saw that I had the picnic tap still on the keg ( it was late and I didn't look ) the freezer was sitting with about 4 1/2 gallons or more of my 5 gallon keg pooled in the bottom of the freezer.
That was an expensive batch of beer and a full bottle of CO2 that was gone.

I would turn the pressure down after the water is carbonated and shut the gas off when not in use.

Back