serious carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroiv

Reaction score
so i bottled an all grain blonde ale about 2 weeks ago and opened one today and had to drink a flat beer. i primed it with 1 cup corn sugar it was in the primary for 3 weeks and secondary for 2. i also have an AG Wit that i bottled 1 week ago and its not carbing either

What is the temp of the conditioning room? Are you aerating really well pre-primary?

B

Ditto on the temperature of the area it is conditioning in....what is the temperature of the area you are carbonating it in.

It will carbonate.....if you have it in a really cool area...i.e. 60's.....then it could take a lot longer than 2-3 weeks....you may want to move to an area in the 70-72 degree range for carbonating

Dont panic.....it will be fine.... :D

Ditto on the temperature of the area it is conditioning in....what is the temperature of the area you are carbonating it in.

It will carbonate.....if you have it in a really cool area...i.e. 60's.....then it could take a lot longer than 2-3 weeks....you may want to move to an area in the 70-72 degree range for carbonating

Dont panic.....it will be fine.... :D

^^ ditto.

temp huh. its all done in my garage which is about 60-65 constant ( i live on the coast much much temp change from day to night)

jroiv said:
so i bottled an all grain blonde ale about 2 weeks ago and opened one today and had to drink a flat beer. i primed it with 1 cup corn sugar it was in the primary for 3 weeks and secondary for 2. i also have an AG Wit that i bottled 1 week ago and its not carbing either

I'm having the same problem. My temp is in the mid 70's ..it's been ten days. It's barley carbing at all. No head or nothing. But I can taste it like it's tryn to. I'm going to wait a couple more days then throw one In the fridge. See what happens there. It taste great but a lil to flat.

I'm having the same problem. My temp is in the mid 70's ..it's been ten days. It's barley carbing at all. No head or nothing. But I can taste it like it's tryn to. I'm going to wait a couple more days then throw one In the fridge. See what happens there. It taste great but a lil to flat.

Won't carb in the fridge. Be patient. It WILL carb. 10 days is not unusual at all. I would't consider it a problem until about 3 weeks. I've made a bunch of beer.

Under 70 seriously delays carbonation. Over 70 is where you want to be.

+1 on the temp.
dont worry until 3 or 4 weeks
are your caps on tight?
they are not twist off bottles are they?
do you stir( lightly, dont add oxygen) your priming sugar into your beer before bottling?
if not you may have some non-carbed bottles and some gushers if your prime sugar is not evenly distributed.

At 60-65 degrees in your garage it will take FOREVER to carbonate...move to warmer area in your house....low 70's

ALso, most guys (including me) allow 3 weeks for complete carbonation.

Prior to adding priming sugar, what did the beer taste like? Were OG and FG in line with type?

B

You don't have a serious carbonation problem, you just have a patience one.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Latest posts

Back