Selling in Metric in the US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigd

Reaction score
We have talked a few times about how much easier metric recipes are to scale and adjust and just in general work with in your head. I was one of those who can't seem to think in metric even though I acknowledge the ease of base-10 math for weights and measures... I was thinking the other day that if anything in the world could get me thinking in metric it would be beer. Heck I'm almost there on ml - I KNOW what 330 ml looks like now without comparing to ounces because I buy Belgian beers.

I buy all of my recipes one at a time for each brew and if I get a metric recipe I have to do the conversions and of course they never line up exactly in ounces. I think if one of the good shops would allow me to purchase a recipe in metric measures it would completely change my relationship with the metric system. Right now, even when I know the conversion in my head I still have to convert before I can conceptualize the measurement but if I were using it all the time I think I would quickly get to know the feel of a kilogram without having to multiply by 2.2 first.

In the end working in base 16 math is annoying and I'd love to get past it but until I can buy things that way I have to keep thinking in Imperial measures. Help a brother out Homebrew shops!

If you use brewing software, try changing it to metric and leaving it that way. You'll learn.

I weigh out my own stuff here in my apartment, so that helps as I can see how much grain 350 grams is, or whatever the measurement is. I'm still not 100% comfortable with all metric measurements, but I've been pretty consistent since I move to Croatia over 3 years ago. The car's spreedometer is in km, the weather's always in celsius, stuff at the store is always in liters and grams and kilos. Guess I'm forced to learn it. I still have to convert for temps though if I wanna be exact and such. But I'm getting there.

It's really easiest for starters. 200 g DME, 2000 ml water. 1/10 ratio makes life easy. And it's great for hop additions and salt additions.

If I was in a position to buy/store in bulk that's what I would do but right now I'm buying a recipe at a time.

Back