Seeking Recipe Recommendations – 2nd Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

While I’m waiting for my first batch to ferment, etc. I figured I would start planning my next 5 gallon batch. I’m brewing extract (some grains) with a 5 gallon pot, a 6.5 gal primary and a 5 gal secondary.

I’ve been looking through tons of recipes and there are so many I want to try. My goal for this next batch is to brew something that doesn’t take too long until it’s ready to drink and is fairly quaffable and easier for the wife to enjoy.

She’s more of a wine drinker but enjoys a beer or 2 with me each week. Her favorite beer is Shorts “Soft Parade”. I know there’s a recipe for that one but I think it may be a bit more involved for my 2nd batch ever.

I should also mention she's not into hoppy beers or beers that are very bitter.

There’s a local brewery that has a beer they call “BBR”. She really enjoys this beer as well. Below is their description of this beer

**BBR

Crisp, clean, refreshing cream ale, which is an ale version of an American lager. Definitely needed after or during the act of mowing the lawn!

O.G. = 1.048 - 5.0%

http://www.ogbrewing.com/beer.htm

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

You are right on target picking a beer for the wife for your second one.

My choice was..or I should say she picked this one out of the catalog. It is a good quick beer.

Australian Sparkling Ale Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/australian-sparkling-ale-extract-kit-w-specialty-grains

Also since it is for her you might try a Cider. Super easy and can be quick. I did a Raspberry Lime Cider Kit. It turned out great.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Brian, I'll take a look at this one!

Is it very hoppy? She doesn't like a lot of hops or bitterness.

We've tried ciders (commercial) and found them too sweet for our palette. Is this one real sweet?

It is a very mild hop. Not hoppy at all. And it is not very bitter either.

Cider... See if you can find this one. It is a very dry Cider. We don't like sweet ciders either. You are looking for English Dry Ciders.
Crispin%20Browns%20Lane.JPG

Crispin Browns Lane Natural Hard Apple Cider
City: Minneapolis, Minn.
ABV: 5.8%
Sweet or dry: Very dry
Tastes Like: Champagne
The Verdict: The best of the ultra-dry ciders, the Browns Lane is crisp and refined.

The kit I used was.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cider-house-select-raspberry-lime-cider

It comes with a flavor pack that has lime and raspberry flavor in it and, also a sweetener pack. Once fermentation is done you can add half the sweetener and try it if not sweet enough add more...

I did change the yeast to a beer yeast S05 I think is what I used but you can use the pack it comes with. Some people say that if you use a beer yeast it does not take as long to make.

Brown ale is a good beer. Can be brewed with low bitterness. Northern Brewer sells a kit that includes specialty grains. Williams Brewing sells a blended extract that doesn't need specialty grains.

My second beer was a near-clone of FFF gumballhead its like in between a wheat and a hoppy pale ale. Nice and crisp with bright non-aggressive dosing of amarillo. For a 5gal batch its something like:
4 lb 2 row
5 lb wheat or red wheat
1lb caravienna

@30min: 1 oz amarillo
@10min: 1 oz amarillo
@0min: 1 oz amarillo
@dry: 1 oz amarillo

doesnt get too much simpler than that. Even for a second batch, it was pretty hard to screw up

I'd go for a hefeweizen. At least with WLP300 I've had really fast fermentations, you don't need to spend time cold crashing since it's a cloudy beer, no hop bitterness and some banana/clove flavors, and I've had batches carb up in literally only a few days.

I'll second a Blonde Ale. Recipes are typically simple, hops are subdued, and if she's into some fruitiness they're great for that. I brew a citrus blonde where I just throw some lemon/orange zest in the boil, but I've heard of others using strawberries, blueberries, peaches, etc.

Latest posts

Back