Secondary white stuff....??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I posted a thread a few days ago about all the gunk stuff floating in my brew, even after being in the seconday for a week. well now the white stuff that's on the top is forming rings around it on the surface..?? is this bad stuff growing, or is it just the little chunks of stuff breaking down..?? any ideas... I'll try to post apic later... thanks...

Jester

i agree with blender. ive seen this a couple times and both times upon closer inspection, the "things" were tiny bubbles clumped up.

Blender said:
Look at them real close and see if they are not just a group of very small bubbles. I found my last brew with white stuff floating on the surface and after close inspection it was very small bubbles...

Yup, its almost always tiny bubbles clusters from residual yeast in your secondary. The yeast in the remaining trub settles into the round ring in the bottom of your carboy, and rises up to form the bubble cluster ring.

wort_01.jpg

wort_00.jpg

Here are the pics... I never realized how hard it is to take a picture through a glass carboy... hehehee... oh well... this is my first brew so who knows how bad I could have messed it up...let me know guys... thanks...

Jester

wort05.jpg

wort04.jpg

wort03.jpg

I tried to take some closer pics... it doesnt look fuzzy.. it looks kind of like the yeast chunks are seperating maybe... they all are centered off a chunk of yeast sediment...

I'll be tasting it in a week or so.. so we'll see how bad it tastes... Thanks again..

Jester

I have a stout that looks almost exactly the same as your pictures and I was getting ready to pour it down the drain, maybe I'll reconsider and bottle it ... my primary fermentation went fast and then I got this look in the secondary. The thing that really concerned me was the lack of any action in the airlock, did you find this as well? There are ZERO bubbles.

Looks like what has happened in most every secondary I have done in my limited carreer as a brewer. Little bubbles which may or may not cling to bits of yeast from dry hopping. As they say relax and have a brew and wait it out.

MP Wall

Tim said:
I have a stout that looks almost exactly the same as your pictures and I was getting ready to pour it down the drain, maybe I'll reconsider and bottle it ... my primary fermentation went fast and then I got this look in the secondary. The thing that really concerned me was the lack of any action in the airlock, did you find this as well? There are ZERO bubbles.

My fermentation also went fast with this brew.... probably under 36 hours of good airlock bubbling... plus this used a dry yeast... thats what the chunks are floating around and thats also where all the mini bubbles are coming off of... we'll see.. I'm kegging it on Sunday...

Man, half my brews have looked like that, but they have all tasted just fine. Since you have no beer to relax with, I would suggest some Jack Daniels:drunk:

I'm wondering, when the alcohol level reaches 5% (give or take), can stuff really grow in there? I understand that some sort of anerobic bacteria could, and there is always something that can live somewhere crazy.

IGOR

Jester said:
Did these close pictures confirm or change anyones opinions..?? thanks again...

Jester

Nope, its like I said before, its little tiny clusters of bubbles from the residual yeast. They can catch pieces of trub or hops,and bring them to the surface, and hold them on the surface. Myself, I always use these bubble clusters to know if my yeast is still working in the secondary, and until they subside, I know there is still yeast activity. Of course taking a gravity reading is the final test, but these small clumps will let you know with a simple glance.

I do see either malt or hops material in the beer as well, but no sign of visable infections.

Igorstien said:
I'm wondering, when the alcohol level reaches 5% (give or take), can stuff really grow in there? I understand that some sort of anerobic bacteria could, and there is always something that can live somewhere crazy.

My parents had a bottle of gin in the cupboard once that ended up getting a 1cm diameter circle of blue mold growing on top of it.

-walker

Hello,

I'm currently brewing my 2nd batch (a kolsch recipe I found on the net) and I'm noticing something that Looks very similar. I'll attach a picture to show you what I'm talking about. I guess from everyone's response this is OK?
fermenter8jh.jpg

I've seen this before and it's nothing to worry about, IMHO. Most pictures of bacterial infection I've seen had a seriously bad look to them - like streaks across the top that look like cracking ice on a lake, for example.

I think you'll both be fine.

after a day or so of jsut being little white circles on the surface, they now look like bubbles... the bubbles I gues were jsut really small at first...

should I wait till the bubbles are gone to keg..?? Its was in the primary for a week and the secondary two weeks.. Thanks again..

Jester

Back