Secondary: When to Rack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kashue

Reaction score
So my first mead has now spent 3 months in secondary. I've read 50/50 advice about when to rack mead in secondary- some say at this point and others that I should just ignore the carboy until it's covered in the grime of ages and seven snows have fallen. Is there any long-term risk to not racking periodically in secondary? Is there any risk to doing so?

if it matters, there are almost no lees; even looking from the bottom of the jug, there are only the faintest hints of tan.

If there's only imperceptible lees its up to you i.e. leave it bulk aging ? Bottle it and age ?

If its finished ok and there's no possible likelihood of fermentation restarting then maybe when you need the carboy/fermenter ?

Your choice.....

You raise a good point. I'd been hoping to back-sweeten this for some foam, but if after 3 months the yeasties haven't done anything then that might just not happen.

I guess I'll just bottle it whenever, then once it's sealed/carbed (if that can even still happen)/pasteurized it can age as needed.

Hmm... Just because the yeast aren't doing anything, doesn't mean that they wouldn't kick back up if you put in some more sugar.
I think what fatbloke was saying (correct me if I am off here) is that you can bulk age it in the carboy as long as you like if there are no lees to impart funky autolysis flavors, or you don't need the carboy.
What are you trying to achieve with your mead? Do you need to bottle it now, or can it wait? What are your gravity readings, they will help you figure out if the yeast are dead, or alive and kicking.
Also, I wouldn't pasteurize your mead, drop in a campden tablet or cold-crash it instead.

Back