secondary regulator question - psi loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShemRahBoo

Reaction score
So I finished my keezer build and have 3 taps. My tank goes to a single primary regulator, this goes into a 2 way manifold, and one output of this manifold goes to a dual secondary regulator. This allows me to have 3 seperate PSIs.

My question relates to PSI loss from the primary to the first gauge on secondary. If my primary is set say at 30 psi, it seems like my secondary can only output 25 psi. Is this typical behavior? Both my secondary gauges can both output this same pressure if turned all the way up. Is it normal for the secondaries after going through a manifold to have a lower PSI output then what the primary is set to.

Yes, input pressure has to be a bit higher than the output. I usually run my primary at 30 psi and the highest secondary would be around 20. Note that you can also put a splitter on the primary for situations where you need a higher pressure (or boost the primary to 40-50).

Thanks for the response. Why is it that the secondary regulators can hold the same pressure. Shouldn't the second one technically be lower following this logic?

The two secondaries are actually both connected to the gas input - they are not "daisy-chained" to each other, even if they look like they are.
The "horizontal" ports are internally connected so whatever you push into one end will make it to the other.

Also, Taprite says their secondaries need a 5psi minimum differential to function correctly.
I imagine that figure is pretty typical of any secondary regulator...

Cheers!

Ok everything is fine then, just wanted to make sure. Beers are tasting very solid right now. Have a mango berliner at 22 psi and a toasted coconut stout at 9 psi.

Back