Secondary regulator calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I started this thread in the Bottling/Kegging section but haven't gotten any bites so I'm throwing it in here as well. If that's not cool please let me know.

So, long story short I bought a single secondary regulator to add to my existing dual secondary regulator setup, so now I have 3 secondary regulators connected. My problem is that yesterday after connecting the 2 existing to the newly added single secondary, the gauge on the new single is reading about 5psi lower than the original 2.

This is consistent, if I raise the high pressure regulator to 20psi, the newly added single secondary regulator will show 15 while the other two show 20. if I bump it to 32, the original secondary regulators will show 32 and the new secondary will show 27.

I'm wondering if there is a way to re-calibrate this?

Thanks

C02 Regulation 7.jpg

I actually have the same issue
Hey, you've got company :p. Have you found the pressure on that regulator to be consistent? As in if you have the system set for say 12 will that gauge read 7 but actually be supplying 12?

fwiw, Taprite secondaries are spec'd to operate with a minimum differential pressure of 5 psi.
Not sure what is actually suspect here...

Cherrs!

fwiw, Taprite secondaries are spec'd to operate with a minimum differential pressure of 5 psi.
Not sure what is actually suspect here...

Cherrs!
Thanks for the response, to make sure that I am understanding you right the secondaries are all spec'd to be 5psi lower than that set on the primary. So if I set the primary to 20psi the secondaries should all read 15psi?

The readings I am currently getting are:
Primary Regulator: Set to 20psi
Original Secondaries: When turned until the needle stops moving will read 20psi
New Secondary: When turned until the needle stops will read 15psi

take a piece of tape or something and write +5 on it, put the tape on the gauge face.

or try and send it back. calibration is generally only available for much more expensive gauges.

Crank up your primary to as high as it will go, sounds like the issue is line loss. As the pressure encounters additional fittings & components (diaphragms, nipples etc) you’ll lose some pressure.

doesnt sound like line loss if the image at top is accurate. the tank essentially feeds directly to each regulator via the high pressure bypass ports on the backs of the regulators.

it would have to be between the 2nd and 3rd regulators if that was the case. i guess you could have a bit of something like teflon tape or whatnot in the port you opened up to add the 3rd, but it'd have to be a big ass piece of tape id think. or technically something blocking the gauge's pressure port, but i think thats pretty unlikely.

you're right, technically its coming off the primary regulator. but the gauges in the manifold are all getting fed by the same supply. so the issue isnt the supply, its that one gauge is reading something different from the rest.

you can just as easily swap the 3rd gauge with either the 1st or 2nd. if the new one now shows 20 and the old one shows 15 you got a supply/regulator body issue. if the new one still shows 15 while the old shows 20 then its the gauge.

my money says the gauge.

i would also point out to the OP that if you manhandle the gauge while you are screwing it in you can also warp the calibration. i have a few gauges that show pressure even without being connected to anything, caused by me screwing in too tight or warping the body of the gauge while screwing in/out by hand.

Thanks for all the responses! :D. I had thought about buying another gauge to see if that'd fix the issue, kind of a bummer having issues before I really get started. In regards to warping the gauge, it's possible, I tried to be careful when adding the new secondary but I can't be certain that I didn't unintentionally apply some pressure to that gauge.

I contacted Taprite and they told me to set the primary to a higher pressure, say 40 (which is what I plan on keeping it at for keg pressurizing) and then set the 3 secondaries at the serving pressure. I can do that but is the 3rd gauge going to be accurate? if I set it to 20 (my serving pressure) is that actually going to be 25psi? I think that trying another gauge might be worth it, especially for $9

For $12 I can build the following and providing the new gauge comes properly calibrated I'll know that what I'm getting out of the line and be able to compare.

C02 Regulation 8.jpg

https://www.homebrewing.org/Taprite-0-30-PSI-Gauge-RHT_p_5381.html
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-C...s-Flare-x-FIP-Coupling-975-44020201/300420292

Last edited:
Well, a little update, it's the gauge. I swapped gauge 3 and gauge 2, guess what, the 2nd 2ndary read 5 psi low, the 3rd 2ndary read right on with the first, I guess I need a new gauge.

Thanks for helping me through this guys! :D I'm still pretty new to kegging/CO2 systems.

You’re better off running the secondaries off the port now occupied by the tank gauge and mounting the tank gauge at the end of the run. [...]

Really?
Considering Taprite rates their secondary regulator Working Pressure Range at 0-50psi I imagine connecting the secondary regulators directly to cylinder pressure would instantly void the warranties on the secondaries...

Cheers!

Another update, I figured why not ask Taprite for a replacement, I'm pleasantly surprised that they are willing to send out a replacement. I spoke to Brandy and she was awesome to deal with, I'm very impressed with Taprite's fast response, it's 9pm est and I'm still getting communication from them!

All set and working, had a few minor leaks but all good now :). I ended up throwing a 90 on the end so I could get the secondary assembly into the corner.

2ndary 1.jpg
2ndary 2.jpg

Back