Secondary fermenting first time question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzardbrew

Reaction score
Been brewing for a while just made my first beer that required transfer to a secondary fermentor. Is it comin to not get much air lock activity. My concern is that I do not have a good co2 blanket and am risking infection

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The purpose of your secondary is just for additional hops infusion, right? If so, you shouldn't see any additional air lock activity.

There is a good likelihood that some degree of fermentation is still going on and CO2 is being produced. Also, not all CO2 produced during fermentation leaves the beer right away; some stays dissolved for a bit and then leaves as the liquid degases on its own. Either way, there's a good chance there is still CO2 in there, depending (of course) on how long it's been.

A secondary is really a poor description. It is more accurately called a bright tank an is for clearing the beer, long aging, or additions like dry hops or fruit. Unless you are adding something that adds sugars there should be no further fermentation. Thus, no airlock activity. Don't transfer to secondary before reaching final gravity.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A secondary is really a poor description. It is more accurately called a bright tank and is for clearing the beer . . .
Beer is clear before it goes to a bright tank. The bright tank is used to carbonate already "bright" beer. A more accurate description would be secondary vessel (not secondary fermenter), but just "secondary" works fine as long as we all agree on its use.

Probrewer:
Brite Beer Tank - These tanks are generally rated for a minimum of 30 PSI. Bright beer tanks are used for the carbonation of beer.

Mitch Steele:
Whatever the process, after conditioning (which can take anywhere from one to six or more weeks), the beer is filtered to remove any remaining yeast and large proteins. That clarified beer is known as bright beer because of its non-cloudy nature. That bright beer is then transferred to a bright beer tank. Often called a “brite” beer tank, serving tank or secondary tank, a bright tank is the vessel in which beer is placed after primary fermentation and filtering, so it can further mature, clarify and carbonate, as well as be stored for kegging, bottling, canning and packaging.

Back