Secondary Fermentation and Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasperMac

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a new to brewing, especially kegging. I am wondering if I still need to do a secondary fermentation. If so, do I use sugars or what? I have my batch brewing now and am not quite sure what the next step is since I'm not putting it right into bottles for secondary/carbonation. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

you can secondary in a carboy if you want to, or secondary in a keg also, but if you do it in a keg you may get some sediment in your first few beers.

i always secondary in a carboy for a week or two and then transfer to the keg and either force carb or keg condition.

hope this helps.

sTango said:
you can secondary in a carboy if you want to, or secondary in a keg also, but if you do it in a keg you may get some sediment in your first few beers.

i always secondary in a carboy for a week or two and then transfer to the keg and either force carb or keg condition.

hope this helps.

Thank you. Now if I force carb, does that mean I don't need to add any sugars or anything. Thanks again.

Correct you will be adding carbonation with the C02 you hook up to the keg. Some people still add sugar to the brew and let it carb naturally for a week or so, then hook the keg to the C02 for dispensing pressure.

Back