Secondary airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjanti

Reaction score
Hello,

For now I'm just reading your forum - very useful. I'm a beginner homebrewer, it's a first time I'm making high gravity Belgian tripple.
I've transferred it about a month ago into secondary, for last week or so airlock activity is crazy fast, it definitely blowing off some CO2.
Does it mean that fermentation is still going? Is it normal?
I was going to bottle it in 2 weeks...now I'm not sure.
I always though that secondary is only for conditioning and there should be any more fermentation there...

The only way to see if fermentation is still happening is to check your gravity. If the gravity is changing then fermentation is happening. If the gravity isn't changing, then it's just gassing off CO2.

I've kind of knew this answer, probably I just didn't wanted to it to avoid potential infection...I don't like opening my carboy without a reason
It seems it have to be done...THX!!

Extra time isn't going to hurt it though. But you'll need to take at least two readings two to three days apart to make sure it has stopped. As long as you sanitize your wine thief, assuming you have one, and are careful taking the sample out, you will be just fine.

And if it is outgassing that much, you'll be less likely to get an infection anyway because the CO2 forms a small layer of protection over the beer.

A Belgian tripple is a big beer that won't finish fermenting very quickly. My Burton ale took some 5 weeks to finish,& it was an OG1.065. So it seems like it wsn't done yet,hence all the activity. You'll just have to let it finish. When it settles out clear or slightly misty,you can bulk age it in a secondary (glass) or bottle it & age it. I bottle aged my Burton ale,& it came out pretty good.

Thx again, will do.

unionrdr - beer is already in the secondary, that's why I found it strange. Airlock activity stopped after 3 weeks in primary, I've transferred it to glass carboy and it has been steady for 2 weeks, but now it started again. So there is no yeast cake there any more. I guess temperature in my condo got a few degrees up, but nothing very significant.

For future brews, it would probably be beneficial to check your gravity before transferring to secondary, not just relying on the airlock. If you take it off the yeast cake early, you could stall the remaining fermentation, especially on bigger beers.

I was referring to secondary. The act of racking over to secondary can start things up again if it wasn't finished already. Sounds like it stalled rather than stopping. Hence my replies. The hydrometer helps a lot in knowing for sure if it's done,& not just stalled or jumping the gun on the brewer's part by watching airlock activity.
The initial fermentation will make the airlock go nuts. when initial fermentaton is over,the airlock slows or stops. This does not mean it's done fermenting. It's just slowing down to a crawl till it gets down to a stable FG. That's what we're referring to.

You are 100% right guys, I got away with lower gravity beers by just estimating when it's finished, but from now on I will always use a hydrometer. It's a bit of a hassle and as a newbie I'm paranoid about not getting my brew infected, but it seems that's the way to go!

Really the only way to go :D And if your beer is mostly fermented anyway, you should get a decent CO2 layer above the beer that will help prevent oxygenation and if you carefully sanitize your thief and just pay attention, you should have no worries about infections.

And don't forget to sanitize the hydrometer & test tube. I even keep a spray bottle of starsan handy & spray some up into the spout on the spigot before pouring the sample (all my FV's have spigots,it's easier).
Otherwise,sanitize whatever you're taking the sample with.

Sorry to jump in but I think everyone is missing something, the OP stated it has been in secondary for a month and for three weeks there was no activity and FG was stable, now it is actively bubbling again. I know this is a big beer but if FG was already met then infection is a possibility with renewed activity, sorry to be a downer but it would be a concern of mine. While it might just be off gassing, I find it odd:) I would open it up and give it a whiff and a taste, just my .02!

Yeah, I found it odd myself, that's why I was asking before...anyway I need to take the gravity so I will give it a try ;-) It smells fine! How can I tell if it's infected, is it just going to be disgusting (sour etc.) ?

banjanti said:
Yeah, I found it odd myself, that's why I was asking before...anyway I need to take the gravity so I will give it a try ;-) It smells fine! How can I tell if it's infected, is it just going to be disgusting (sour etc.) ?

Basically yes and there may be some pellicles growing etc. if it smells fine and tastes fine then it probably is, just kind of weird to take off like that again but I would take a gravity and consider bottling soon;)

Sorry for jumping in late - but was curious of your temperature on your beer changed. Warmer temps can make some the carbon dioxide come out of solution, thus making it seem like there is activity.

I gave it a try - it will be god damn fine beer :D No infection whatsoever...
I was suspecting temperature myself....it's about 3-5 Celsius more in the condo than in the beginning of fermentation....
I have my gravity so I'll give it a try after tomorrow and if it's constant I guess I'm bottling!

banjanti said:
I gave it a try - it will be god damn fine beer :D No infection whatsoever...
I was suspecting temperature myself....it's about 3-5 Celsius more in the condo than in the beginning of fermentation....
I have my gravity so I'll give it a try after tomorrow and if it's constant I guess I'm bottling!

Glad to hear it, cheers!!!

Back