Second Runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Second runnings beer has been on my mind lately so I have put a plan of attack together..... My first "attack" at this.....Lol

I found a pretty solid Imperial Stout recipe on HBT to brew (2-row, black barley, rye, special b, 2 chocolate malts, caramunich, warrior & Willamette hops, OG 1.119, 10.6%, 101.2 IBU).

I plan to do a full volume mash/boil and then a 30 minute full volume "batch sparge" for my second runnings "2nd Best Brown Ale" (made with onhand leftover hops: Amarillo Gold, tettnang, Willamette, and nugget 26.2 IBU).

I have created the recipes at 70% to leave some room for improvement. I hit 75% consistently with a mash and batch sparge.

Do you think this is a solid plan of attack? Is it reasonable to think the second runnings will be close to, if not over, an OG of 1.040? Am I missing anything for this process?

You are talking about a partigyle and partigyles are great ideas when you're already planning a high OG beer. I could help you estimate your OG for the small beer but I need more info. How many pounds of grain? How many gallons for the Imperial Stout? Do you batch sparge or fly?

Both will be 5.25 gallon batches. I don't plan to sparge the first brew but will batch sparge the second runnings with 9.81 gallons to achieve a preboil of 8 gallons.

He's doing BIAB...

Yes sir I am..... However, I usually mash with 2qts/lb and batch sparge with the remaining volume but for this brew I will do a full volume mash for the first and then a full volume batch sparge that will become the second brew.

Both will be 5.25 gallon batches. I don't plan to sparge the first brew but will batch sparge the second runnings with 9.81 gallons to achieve a preboil of 8 gallons.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but you do not have absorption loses on the small beer as the grain is fully saturated.

I really am at a loss as to how this gets done BIAB now that I think of it. I have done it with my three-tier before and you just doughed in as a normal and I fly-sparge to a volume for the big beer. At that point I batch sparged the rest of my hot water into a separate pot. In my case it was a 5 gallons (pre-boil) of Scottish Strong Ale and much smaller schilling but I think I collected just shy of 6 gallons (pre-boil) of 1.035 wort.

According to you efficiency, with 24.5 lbs of grain, your first Runnings, post boil, 5 gallons, should be 1.089, and your second runnings (do not account for grain absorption when adding sparge water) will be 1.045.
If you want a higher OG on your first runnings without adding more grain, do a smaller volume of your first runnings. Check this chart out:
Ignore the red circle
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437073099.731763.jpg

According to you efficiency, with 24.5 lbs of grain, your first Runnings, post boil, 5 gallons, should be 1.089, and your second runnings (do not account for grain absorption when adding sparge water) will be 1.045.
If you want a higher OG on your first runnings without adding more grain, do a smaller volume of your first runnings. Check this chart out:
Ignore the red circle
View attachment 290493

OK. I totally looked over the fact that the grains would be saturated. So, I assume I will just do an 8 gallon batch sparge for the second (that would be my targeted pre-boil volume)?

Beersmith predicts 1.119 @ 70% efficiency. If I'm reading the chart right, the second would be 1.051'ish.

I have a feeling that you are calculating for 70% efficiency on your first running, but that you will be more likely to get 50% on your first running and then 20% additional from the second runnings plus pour over sparge.

Even if I am incorrect, be prepared to boost the gravity with DME, or sugar or honey if it comes out lower than expected. It is a bummer when your hop schedule is set for one beer and then the beer comes out weak and therefor bitter.

I did have success doing a partigyle with a much smaller beer than you are planning. My first runnings came out to 1.050, and the second runnings were at 1.020, which I then doubled to 1.040 with some caramelized honey. The resulting braggot was exactly what I was going for in a quick fermenting lawnmower braggot. Some of my friends that aren't much into beer enjoyed it also though it did have some "bite" to it.
pic of lawnmower braggot

I've never tried a partigyle BIAB, but I would guess an approach would be to collect 1st and second runnings, then blend to adjust to desired gravities.
Unless you have some experience, it will be a little guesswork to predict exactly where you may fall.

Also, you should know that on a beer as large as 1.113, you will get less efficiency than a lower OG beer. This is because you are not (or just barely) sparging, and sparging helps with efficiency by pulling out sugars left behind from the initial mash first runnings

I have a feeling that you are calculating for 70% efficiency on your first running, but that you will be more likely to get 50% on your first running and then 20% additional from the second runnings plus pour over sparge.

[/URL]

I'm not following why the first efficiency would be 50% if I consistently hit 75+%?

Can you get OG 1.119, no sparge and 70%?

Efficiency will typically be lower as gravity increases.

Try dunk sparging and squeezing :p

In all seriousness, when I BIAB I hold back around 35% of the water, and do a dunk sparge. Doing that greatly helps capture the excess sugar in a big beer, though I've never tried anything above 1.075

I guess it counts down to your efficiency. If you can hit 80% and your first running is 70%, that only leaves 10% for the second running. If 70% is 1.120 then the second running would be 1.017 (1+(.12/7)). Go for it, double the OG w honey and go very easy on the lupalus (15ibu).

Back