Second batch is on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just started my second batch, i decided upon a coopers ginger beer kit as friends regularly drink crabbies and other expensive ginger beers so i thought i'd have a go at brewing some for them.

I must say that at the moment my laundry room where i'm brewing smells great, the kit has a very strong smell of ginger and hopefully it turns out as tasty as it smells.

The only thing i was wondering about is the starting gravity reading (sorry i cant remember what the abbreviation is, OG maybe?) it's only 1.021 is this OK? I used the kit and 1kg of raw sugar, made sure it was all dissolved and mixed well then took the reading just before i pitched the yeast, i know they say it should end up as roughly 3.5 abv but i thought 1.021 was quite a low starting gravity?

It is quite low. The most likely explanation is that it is very difficult when doing partial boil extract batches to get the wort and the top-off water mixed up well enough to get an accurate hydrometer reading. If you added the right amount of extract and ended up with the right volume of wort, your OG will be whatever was predicted, regardless of what your hydrometer reading says.

Thanks Pappers i'll ignore the hydrometer and let it do its thing.

It's taking a while for fermentation to get going as well but temperatures have dropped here and it's only been in the fermentor for about 12 hours so i'll keep an eye on it.

Back