Scotch Whisky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnlmch0917

Diver Down
Reaction score
Looking for some info on Glenfiddich Scotch. I found a bottle of it in the wall of a building here at my business. (I know, right?) It is in a cardboard "gift" tube which had been opened, however the bottle is still sealed! Is there any numbers on the label that would give me an idea of how old this is? Everything I find online has a newer label than this one. The bottle is green and in a TRIANGLE shape. I don't think it's their aged Scotch as it only says "Pure Malt" on it rather than the "12", "18", "21", etc. that are on the current aged bottles. Thanx!

Can you post a picture? If it has no government warning label it is pre-1990. Glenfiddich borrowed the triangular bottle from Grant’s in the early 60s.

1614362507427.png

I'm actually on vaca now so the bottle isn't near by but I did locate this pic online but just as an image, not "for sale". Just curious what this might be worth. $50, $75.........$200 (lol)

It's a blend they offered in the 1980s. Being a blend, there is no age specification. It's probably the minimum 3 years for the single malts that go into blended scotch whisky. According to this site, it's deemed a "collector's item," though not sure of its value. The site rates it 3.33/5, which implies it's so-so. No idea how it would stack up with the entry level single malts, like the Glenfiddich 12 for instance.

One way to find out: pop it open and try a dram or three.

I drank a fair amount of that in the early 1980's. It was pricy for a college student, but under $30/750ml - nothing very special

It's a blend they offered in the 1980s. Being a blend, there is no age specification. It's probably the minimum 3 years for the single malts that go into blended scotch whisky. According to this site, it's deemed a "collector's item," though not sure of its value. The site rates it 3.33/5, which implies it's so-so. No idea how it would stack up with the entry level single malts, like the Glenfiddich 12 for instance.

One way to find out: pop it open and try a dram or three.

Actually that’s a single malt - you can see it on the bottle. The late Michael Jackson said they bucked the trend by going to single malts in ‘63, and everyone thought they were nuts.

In his malt book (we’ve an autographed copy - had an unbelievable multi-course beer dinner with him at The White Horse, Parsons Green, London. Part of a web prize we actually won), he says the « Special Old Réserve » name was eventually dropped. « Said to be 8 years old. Light, smooth malt with a hint of fruitiness». As you say, from the ‘80’s and discontinued. Quick search is showing upwards of 150£.

Actually that’s a single malt - you can see it on the bottle. The late Michael Jackson said they bucked the trend by going to single malts in ‘63, and everyone thought they were nuts.

In his malt book (we’ve an autographed copy - had an unbelievable multi-course beer dinner with him at The White Horse, Parsons Green, London. Part of a web prize we actually won), he says the « Special Old Réserve » name was eventually dropped. « Said to be 8 years old. Light, smooth malt with a hint of fruitiness». As you say, from the ‘80’s and discontinued. Quick search is showing upwards of 150£.

Good catch, I missed that. I homed in on the label's "pure malt" which /= single malt. But it's single malt.

Cool about having dinner with Michael Jackson. Bet it was fun picking his brain.

Good catch, I missed that. I homed in on the label's "pure malt" which /= single malt. But it's single malt.

Cool about having dinner with Michael Jackson. Bet it was fun picking his brain.

It was incredible. We started with a mild in thumbprint mugs then headed into a private dining room. The publican/cellar master, Mark Dorber, also joined and that was also a boon. Mark’s wife prepared the food and each course was matched perfectly.

Michael’s encyclopedic knowledge of all things malt - especially his incredibly detailed sensory recall - was mind blowing. I remember him talking about vintage years of ...., argh, can’t even remember the ale, something incredibly well known, a strong ale (I think!)! My damn memory!

But the point being the guy had at perfect recall his sensory impressions of likely 1000’s of beers, if we include his notion of vintages. With no disrespect to Michael or his memory, the man enjoyed his tipple, yet he was pure genius.

The other thing that sticks with me is how much of a booster he was for American brewing. In his words, « you lot have it. » (I was working for Goose Island when we went). That, and his absolute love for Belgian brewing.

I think the comparison can be made with how many French chef feel about French culinary training - the almost moribund nature of cooking, so tightly constrained by a venerable, but orthodox tradition. He just loved bold flavors, and praised American brewers accordingly.! Hell, I’m a helluva lot more « British ale traditional » than Michael seemed to be.

At any rate, an incredible night. And several weeks after - we spent a lot of time in the Cotswolds, most enjoyably at Hook Norton, a very traditional tower brewery, with a 150 year old steam engine driving everything!

Tons more. But man, yes, a highlight of my life. I love European history, as does my boy. Can’t wait to bring him next time.

Édit: Thomas Hardy’s! Duh, of course!

Last edited:
His Malt Whisky Companion is a great book to seek out. Also, Great Beers of Belgium, though that's out of print and used copies are fetching quite a bit.

Second on these books. I also love his « ultimate beer companion » and « the new world guide to beer. » Jeez, in my lap and driving me nuts for the smell of hops and malt. PRETTY beers in glass throughout. Major sources of inspiration.

My wife’s late great uncle was discussed in one of them. He ran the Tartu Olutehas (Brewery) under both the Soviet occupation, and after liberation. Some serious lore from this hysterically funny, bear of a man. Spoke no English and I speak no Estonian. Beer is a pretty nice diplomat.

Édit: damn auto fill. Tartu, Estonia, not Tartine!

Last edited:
Second on these books. I also love his « ultimate beer companion » and « the new world guide to beer. » Jeez, in my lap and driving me nuts for the smell of hops and malt. PRETTY beers in glass throughout. Major sources of inspiration.

My wife’s late great uncle was discussed in one of them. He ran the Tartine Oletehaus (Brewery) under both the Soviet occupation, and after liberation. Some serious lore from this hysterically funny, bear of a man. Spoke no English and I speak no Estonian. Beer is a pretty nice diplomat.

I have the Beer Companion (not the "Ultimate" version). I should pick up New World Guide to Beer, just for posterity.

Not a Jackson book, but I found a like-new used copy of The Oxford Companion to Beer on Amazon. More like an encyclopedia, and very informative, even though not a homebrewing book, per se.

I have the complete set of the "Beer Hunter" VHS tapes from years back that Michael Jackson did-- they are fabulous. I think the videos may be on youtube-- they are definitely worth seeking out (for historical record if nothing else).

I have the Beer Companion (not the "Ultimate" version). I should pick up New World Guide to Beer, just for posterity.

Not a Jackson book, but I found a like-new used copy of The Oxford Companion to Beer on Amazon. More like an encyclopedia, and very informative, even though not a homebrewing book, per se.

Added to the cart!

Back