Scorching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjiBat

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch ever from an extract kit by brewers best last night and it's bubbling away in the fermentor now. I used a stainless pot on an electric stove and after all was done I noticed some burned on residue in the bottom of the pot that follows the design of the burner underneath it, had to scrub it out. Is it normal to have a little burnt on the bottom? Will this effect the flavor of my beer? Thanks.

Let me know how this works out, im gearing up for the same situation and was worried about the electric stove boil.

Id say that yes it will effect the final flavour of the beer. A bit of caramelisation isnt neccisarily a bad thing but caramelisation of hopped syrup might make the beer a bit more bitter tasting. It will probably taste fine but it would be good brewing practice to stir the wort more so that scorching doesnt occur. RDWHAHB and it will be beer.

My first was a full 6.5g boil electric stove top. I scorched it, never achieved a full rolling boil, and boiled over. I'm four batches in now & brew on a blichmann floor burner. That first beer is still my favorite & came out really good, but the last two are still bottle conditioning. As long as you have good temp control and sanitation, little hiccups along the way will not be noticeable.

Thanks for the help. Glad to hear its Probably not ruined. I think I'll use my propane powered camping stove next time to get a more even heat and more control. It's a learning experience, and I'm so glad I took the plunge.

Did you remove the pot from the burner before you added the liquid extract? The extract is heavy and usually settles to the bottom. If you remove the pot from the stove, add the LME and stir it in before you return to the burner, it's less likely to burn.

With liquid extract, remove from the heat and stir it in VERY well. I use a wooden or nylon utensil so I can aggressively scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure there is no syrup to scorch.

Stir like your life depends on it!

Unfortunately I didn't remove it from the burner before adding LME, I didn't turn the burner off either. I did taste a little of the wort when it was done and it didn't have any burnt flavor, just sweet wort a hops.

My first batch was a BB kit and I had some minor sorching as well. It didnt effect the tast in the least, the kit was the English Brown and the flavor came out very nice.

From what I learned the main effects are that your gravity numbers might be a little off and your color might be darker than expected. Nothing fatal to the beer.

I literally did the exact same thing during my first batch. I found out that there is good news and bad news about this.

The Good News: 1) It will not RUIN your beer and 2) you will learn something first hand that you will know how to handle next time

The Bad News: Your final product may taste a little burnt

I made a BB Red Ale for my first batch and didn't take the BP off the burner when I poured in the LME. I scorched it and the final product has a bit of a burnt taste. However, it isn't overwhelming and doesn't completely take away from the final product. Who knows, if I had been making an IPA the hoppiness may have overpowered the burnt taste or if I had been making a porter or a stout it might have added to the taste! Either way, I learned (and have done since) to take the BP off the burner while adding the fermentables until they are dissolved.

Back