Scoby Day 5 Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemstone505

Reaction score
First time trying to grow a Scoby from a GT'S Organic Raw Kombucha, no Original so went with Third Eye Chai. It was 2 months from the listed expiration date and had good carbonation and a nice size Scoby floating at the top, with a nice bit of yeast at the bottom.

This is 5 days of growth at around 75F, some of the yeast got stuck above the water line when first pouring in the starter tea, the carb bubbles went down and it ended up being stuck. I didn't want to mess with it but also don't want them being used as a spot for possible mold to grow either.

I need a visual check, no typical signs of mold or smells at all.

Scoby Day 6 - March 9 2017 #2.jpg

Scoby Day 6 - March 9 2017 #3.jpg

Did you add the sugar necessary for fermentation and growth? Once Kombucha is bottled it has usually used up all the food (sugar) available to it. If you add sugar it will start to ferment that sugar and create new organisms and you will be OK.

What you have in your vessel looks fine. It just needs some food. Be sure to check that the pH is 5 or less otherwise you will grow mold. You can adjust the pH with a weak solution of vinegar and water.

Paul

Yeah, 3 teaspoons of organic granulated cane sugar, 2 cups of brita filtered water left out for 24 hours in the fridge and then used that to boil/steep 2 teabags of earl grey. The tea did have bergamot oil but doesn't seem to be effecting the Scoby growth at least.

I'm shopping around for a PH meter/strips, no luck yet, will probably order one off Amazon. I used 1 cup of Kombucha so my PH should be good, using a 750ml container, will transfer to a 1 liter (1 quart) glass jar at some point.

Yeah, 3 teaspoons of organic granulated cane sugar, 2 cups of brita filtered water left out for 24 hours in the fridge and then used that to boil/steep 2 teabags of earl grey. The tea did have bergamot oil but doesn't seem to be effecting the Scoby growth at least.

I'm shopping around for a PH meter/strips, no luck yet, will probably order one off Amazon. I used 1 cup of Kombucha so my PH should be good, using a 750ml container, will transfer to a 1 liter (1 quart) glass jar at some point.

Use the strips for pH measurements. They work just fine for this application and are just a few bucks for 100 strips.

Paul

Yeah, went out and bought some English Breakfast Tea (bags), Black Tea is the only ingredient listed, didn't say Organic but best option I could find for next batch. Will find some PH strips to be on the safe side, digi readers seem to have so many bad reviews.

Also the carbonation was pushing my Scoby above the tea on one side, I pushed it back down with a plastic spoon. I ran it under some vinegar before and after to prevent any contamination. The Scoby stayed upright, brown bits floating on the underside still, and it's now sitting just past halfway.

Back