Schramm's Dry Nutmeg Metheglin - Spices stay in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroneKeeper

Reaction score
I'd like to make Ken's Dry Nutmeg Metheglin but I see in the instructions he says to mix everything together into 1 gallon of boiling water. Does this mean the spices stay in only during the heating process or do you put all the spices in the primary and leave them?

From his instructions he seems to be saying that it stays in the fermenter. After fermentation is done you'll want to taste it as it will probably be a very strong nutmeg flavor and you'll want to rack it off the spices.
The flavor will grow milder with time, which is why he said it took two years to round out.

From his instructions he seems to be saying that it stays in the fermenter. After fermentation is done you'll want to taste it as it will probably be a very strong nutmeg flavor and you'll want to rack it off the spices.
The flavor will grow milder with time, which is why he said it took two years to round out.

Most his recipes give some more guidance than this. I've found a few reproductions around the internet but nobody specifies when/if to remove them. Is it possible he leaves it in until he bottles?

Back