Scaling Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondiferi

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been developing a sparkling fruit cider / wine recipe for a couple of years now. I have stable product made with carboys, buckets and kegs. I would like next to scale up to a micro-brew size.

I would like some help to get a crash-course on how to do that, hoping to get some advice here, but perhaps also finding a mentor that could help follow up. I just want to get at the information efficiently and avoid avoidable mistakes.

The brewing process currently is:
  1. Add semi-dry fruit to water and bring to 75 degree Celsius, in batches of 30 to 60 L.
  2. Blend (currently using a drill with an extension that would normally be used to blend cement/concrete, or mix paints if you know which one I mean).
  3. Add enzymes and leave work over night.
  4. Press (it's not exactly pressing, but the pulp is poured into cheese cloth and gently massaged by hand. Pressing doesn't seem to work for some reason).
  5. Add yeast
  6. Ferment at 20 degree Celsius for about 2 weeks.
  7. Rack and age for 3 months.
  8. Cold Crash, Keg and force carbonate.
  9. Bottle.
I am unsure as to how I can scale up to micro brew size, here are a bunch of question on top of my head, we're going to assume I want to make 250 L at a time (could be a bit more or less, to be confirmed):
  • What tool do I need to bring the must to heat in high volumes?
  • How do I transfer the (still-hot) must into the pressing apparatus?
  • What equipment could I use for pressing?
  • How do I chill large tanks (now I place my buckets in modified fridges), at 20 C for fermentation, at 1 C for bottling?
  • Is the bottling-gun still effective to pour from a Unitank?
I see so much info out there, and can't find find a source that addresses my questions precisely and I am quite sure there are questions ahead of me I am not even aware of yet. I'd really appreciate guidance here. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back