Scaling up a water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked and can't find any thread or post . I slightly remember one though. If I go from a 5 gallon batch to a 30 gallon batch can I just multiply my gypsum , calcium chloride and lactic acid by 6?

I've looked and can't find any thread or post . I slightly remember one though. If I go from a 5 gallon batch to a 30 gallon batch can I just multiply my gypsum , calcium chloride and lactic acid by 6?

Maybe. If you are really scaling up your water by a factor of 6, yes. But normally (assuming same equipment) water does not scale up linearly with batch size, because boil off doesn't scale, and any mash tun dead space and/or transfer losses don't scale.

OTOH, going from 5 to 30 gallons kind of implies different equipment. But still, boil off and losses probably still don't scale linearly. It depends on your equipment.

Maybe. If you are really scaling up your water by a factor of 6, yes. But normally (assuming same equipment) water does not scale up linearly with batch size, because boil off doesn't scale, and any mash tun dead space and/or transfer losses don't scale.

OTOH, going from 5 to 30 gallons kind of implies different equipment. But still, boil off and losses probably still don't scale linearly. It depends on your equipment.

Thats a good point . The water will not be linear due to different equipment. I think he Beersmith or something like that . Hopefully there's a way to set up a water profile .

Back