American IPA Sannyasin Swill- West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desertbrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US05
Yeast Starter
Slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
This beer is a west coast IPA inspired by one of my "always in the fridge" beers, Swami's IPA from Pizza Port. The name of the game here is to be dry, clean and hoppy, at about 6.5-7% ABV. This means no crystal or characterful malts, a healthy dose of isomerized AA, but also a lot of late addition and dry hops to strike a balance for supreme drinkability.

This turned out as a great IPA, but it NEEDS to clear up in order to hit the sweet spot. When I first tapped it, it had diacytel and was very bitter because there was a lot of hop particulate that got transferred to the keg. I let it warm up a couple days to remove the diacytel (I think this is a Chico thing with a heavy dry hop... maybe next time I'll use a different strain), then added gelatin to the keg while the beer was cold and carbonated and a few days later it started getting magical. This beer is floral, slightly fruity, bitter, bone dry and just zips right off your tongue, leaving you wanting another sip. The Rajneeshees would've loved it (minus the salmonella).

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 6.7%
IBU (tinseth): 71.22
SRM (morey): 4.18

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (99%)
2 oz - Canadian - Honey Malt (1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 45.71
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 9.46
0.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 10.65
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.93
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.97
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.52

1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 0 qt

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: Slurry
Attenuation (custom): 84%

Fermented at 68 deg F for 11 days.

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Light colored and hoppy
Ca2: 75
Mg2: 5
Na: 10
Cl: 50
SO4: 150
HCO3: 0

Water Notes:
Started with RO,
12 grams of gypsum
4 grams of CaCl
1 gram of Epsom salt
All added to the mash

Attachments

• 1Y0A9583.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 306
If I didn’t have the honey I’d brew it with just base malt; I could maybe convince myself I taste it but I doubt it is doing much, if not perhaps just rounding out some of the bitterness. I used it because I had it on hand, plus I know the brewer from Beechwood bbq here adds it to their West coast ipas, and I know some other brewers use it as well.

Depending on the base malt you use the flavor will be different as well; this beer was brewed with Rahr 2 row and I really enjoy it. Very clean tasting malt.

The main thing is hitting that OG. This beer is perfectly balanced and if I got bad efficiency and it turned out at 1.050 or something, it would be too bitter. Also I mashed it at a moderate temp, so that there is some body to it, you don’t want it too thin.

Didn’t the rajneeshi put haldol in the beer to calm down the homeless people they imported to vote? Beer looks great without it!

Didn’t the rajneeshi put haldol in the beer to calm down the homeless people they imported to vote? Beer looks great without it!

Yep! Mixed in with their 2 pint limit per day. When they're describing that on the Netflix doc, there's a cutaway to one of the former homeless dudes saying something like "this is the best beer ever!" lol.

Exactly, this beer is a sedative with good ol' fashioned ethanol.

Yep! Mixed in with their 2 pint limit per day. When they're describing that on the Netflix doc, there's a cutaway to one of the former homeless dudes saying something like "this is the best beer ever!" lol.

Exactly, this beer is a sedative with good ol' fashioned ethanol.

“They got some gooooood beer here!”

We need more clear IPA’s!!!! I like this recipe. My next IPA was going to be something similar to this. 2 Row, 3% Honey malt and a little wheat. What yeast would you try next time instead of American Ale strain?

We need more clear IPA’s!!!! I like this recipe. My next IPA was going to be something similar to this. 2 Row, 3% Honey malt and a little wheat. What yeast would you try next time instead of American Ale strain?

I repitch yeast so I have gotten really clean beers with S04, or White Labs 007. For my tastes, I’ll probably use that the next time I want to brew this and know there won’t be diacetyl. I'm about to start experimenting with the Fuller's strain, but I think it'll leave a dry IPA like this too full and sweet. I’ve used San Diego Super yeast from white labs before, and found it very similar to Chico. I hear that some breweries use the Anchor steam strain, that seems like a great candidate for this style as it is very clean. Heck, I’ve even thought why not throw a lager yeast in there next time and ferment it at like 60. All sorts of experiments to play around with.

I like a lot of the new “juicy” (I.e. British) strains like Conan, 1318, Sacc Trios, but 1. they have too much character for a beer like this and 2. they aren’t good at dropping bright quickly. I’ve also found that they can hold up to massive dry hops without producing diacetyl, even with lots of yeast in suspension.

There is a noticeable difference in flavor and mouthfeel from when you first tap it to when it starts getting bright, in this case, you want the qualities that come with clear beer.

I like the neutral flavor of Chico, maybe its just a matter of figuring out the dry hop thing. I was thinking about experimenting by fermenting, crashing, fining with gelatin, and racking to keg all before dry hopping in the keg warm for a couple days, sealed and closed. This way there would be barely any yeast in suspension to create diacetyl. Need to do some more research; I’ve seen this problem come up a lot for others as well.

Last edited:
You said ) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 0 qt

what did you mean by only mash for 30 mins?

For beers with this much base malt it really doesn’t need a 60 minute mash... It probably converts in like 5 mins. 30 min mash is not prescriptive to this recipe though, just do what’s best for your system and what you know works. Cheers!

This sounds amazing, and I think I'll brew it in a week's time. The 154F mash temp... the US-05 will still dry it out nicely to 1.010? I might pitch two packs just to insure full attenuation. Also, I have Dingeman's Belgian Caravienna (Lovibond 19-27) that has a nice sweetness to it that I'll use since I have it on hand.

I like it the hop schedule. Kinda stund though at 154 you’re getting it to finish at 1.010. That’s crazy attenuation for that temp. I’d be certainly getting between 1.014-1.016 with most yeast at that temp.

Latest posts

Back