sanke keg sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I'm thinking about possibly using a sanke keg for a large fermentor. Does anyone have suggestions for the best way to clean and sanitize the inside? I will not have access to do it manually, maybe a carboy brush would fit.

My idea is to remove the guts from the tap then use Tri clover fittings to hook up a blow off hose and maybe install a racking arm.

I've been doing 10 gallon batches and I don't like having to separate buckets, this would allow me to keep everything together.

Any thoughts?

If your local brewpub/micro (Troegs, maybe?) uses Sanke kegs, they likely have a machine that attaches to the valve and powerwashes and sanitizes the keg in ~ 2 minutes. You could maybe talk them into letting you use it, or doing it for you. Problem is, I think that requires that the valve still be installed.

Bike N Brew said:
If your local brewpub/micro (Troegs, maybe?) uses Sanke kegs, they likely have a machine that attaches to the valve and powerwashes and sanitizes the keg in ~ 2 minutes. You could maybe talk them into letting you use it, or doing it for you. Problem is, I think that requires that the valve still be installed.

yeah I was thinking PBW or the acid wash to clean the inside then use starsan to sanitize it.

I've not found troegs very plesant in the past, I'd rather keep my distance.

I use a 15.5 gal sanke keg as a primary fermenter. I use a carboy brush and bleach solution, soak for couple of hours and drain. Rinse with hot water and soak overnight with BTF. All seems to be clean. Is there a better way??

Thank you gonzo, you are right on. Oxalic acid???? is this what we should be using??????Past posts seem to point down this path.

Thanks guys. I removed the guts per the web site instructions. Really quite simple.

I washed it out and it is now sitting with some pbw in it.

Back