Sanke keg for a serving vessel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello,

I have acquired three extra Sanke kegs and want to use two of them as fermenters and one as a serving vessel. I am currently using two 5.5 gallon corny kegs with a typical ball lock and pink lock setup and am curious how I can use a Sanke in a similar fashion so that I can use co2 to force carb. Does anyone currently do this? What Is required to do a setup like this?

You can use it just like the corny. Put a tap on it and hook it up to co2 and it will carbonate.

He means attach the coupler. The problem with his response is that most people only know of using a hand pump to serve out of a snake keg. He is referring to the connector that bars use. It has a gas in port and a liquid out port. So carbonating in a snake keg is the same as in a corney keg, you just need an extra piece of equipment.

I thought it was self explanatory. I guess not. The tap is the metal device that you use to "tap" into the keg. It let's you add co2 and extract the liquid inside.

Breweralex said:
He means attach the coupler. The problem with his response is that most people only know of using a hand pump to serve out of a snake keg. He is referring to the connector that bars use. It has a gas in port and a liquid out port. So carbonating in a snake keg is the same as in a corney keg, you just need an extra piece of equipment.

Thank you for your response. So do you need to pull out the current dip tube assembly or would the gas and liquid ports include everything needed? Would a place like morebeer sell something like that ?

I would pull the dip tube (called a spear in a sanke keg). This will allow you to clean and fill the keg a lot easier. Also you should attach your coupler to the spear when it's out and dunk the entire thing (not hooked up to any lines) in sanitizer before reassembling and carbonating.

I hope this helps. If I get a chance I'll take pics.

It's called a keg coupler. Here is a pic. I see them on Craigslist a lot and shouldn't be too hard to get.

s-coupler.jpg

Back