Sanke Fermenting and transferring to Cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDIr0n

Reaction score
I just wanted to show y'all how I rack my beer out of my sanke fermenters, it is the same basic hardware that I have for my Blichmann beer gun.

Here is my CO2 setup that I am purging the keg on the ground after sanitizing so I can transfer under CO2.

P1000414 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

Here is where I hook up the CO2 to the sanke to get ready to transfer. I generally shoot for about 2 psi for transfering, it takes about 2 min for 5 gallons.

P1000415 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

This pic shows me getting ready to transfer with the lines hooked up, I had been thinking about going through the dip tube but I have a feeling that some excess
foaming would ensue.

P1000416 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

Here is the transfer, I have the sanke diptube pulled up to start then I slowly lower it down until I see yeast come out then I raise it up a little higher for clear beer.

P1000417 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

A pic of the CO2 showing barely any psi for pushing out the beer

P1000418 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

I hope this helps y'all get a better picture of how I transfer my beer to my cornies and then to my casks. I haven't seen any guides on how to do this on here before, so hopefully it is helpful to somebody.

-G

Thanks for the walk-thru, I've been thinking about fermenting in a slim 1/4 barrel for a while now. Are you using the brewers hardware cap?

Maybe the 2" cap is too small, but seems like you could fit corny liquid and gas assemblies on there. I think I would find that more convenient.

Great post,

By the way, you should be ok going through the diptube. I siphon but use the dip tube because I get less foam, partly because then I don't have the keg lid open (I just lock the vent open).

Yeah I am using their sanke fermenter kit with a thermowell. That would probably be more convenient, but it would add to the cost. I am quite happy with just using the tubing.

Great post,

By the way, you should be ok going through the diptube. I siphon but use the dip tube because I get less foam, partly because then I don't have the keg lid open (I just lock the vent open).

Thanks for the info on going through the diptube, I will probably play around with doing that next batch.

So how do you start your siphon? One reason I like using CO2 is that I don't disturb the yeast cake.

-G

I use a stainless siphon, and use plastic buckets. I start by putting about a half gallon of starsan in my keg. I seal my keg up, and put my siphon assembly (siphon, tube and beer out fitting) on my keg. I hit the keg with a few PSI of CO2, to start the starsan flowing. I then let it continue as a siphon (open the vent) until the starsan is out of the keg. Before any air bubbles get into the tube I disconnect the beer out from the keg. Now the siphon is full of starsan. I put the siphon (still full of starsan) into the beer, and then connect the beer fitting back to the keg. The primed syphon is enough to get it started and done. I know I get some starsan into my beer, but it is about 1/2 cup in 5 gallons, not noticeable.

I do also have really hard water, and cold crash my beer before siphoning, so I tend to have a pretty firm yeast cake. My beer is brilliantly clear though, better than many filtered beers, and never yeasty (I hate yeasty beer, personally)

I think next time I transfer a beer I will take some pics and share.

Latest posts

Back