sanke fermenter - crtique needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I am half way through this process, so it may be a bit too late for the critique. Tht said, I'd still like opinions on this idea.

Turn a sanke upside down. Weld a 4" tri-clamp ferrule (after cutting a hole of course)

Take a 4" end cap. Drill out two holes; weld in 1/4" threaded nipples. Attach corny post adapter to each - one gas in, one liquid out. This becomes the new top.

On the bottom, weld a 2" tri clamp ferrule. (again, hole cut). Attach to this a 2" butterfly valve. This will become a drain.

pros -
transfers under pressure
yeast collection
minimal to zero O2 contact
easy to clean with 4" and 2" openings
easy secondary fermentation

cons -
getting pricey, but still under 150$
not sure yeast collection will work

any thoughts on this? So far only the ferrules have been welded - 4" on the new top (old bottom) and 2" on bottom. The other work has not been done.

I don't think the angle is great enough for the yeast/trub, etc. to drain - sounds like you figured this out already. One of the kegs I picked up at Full Sail was taken out of service because it over pressurized and that would have worked a lot better for what you are doing because the top and bottom were blown out.

any photo's of the work so far?

Sounds like a great fermenter - good luck with the project!

no pics yet. One of the reasons I turned it upside down is that the top seemed a bit steeper and thoe bottom was smoother/flatter, therefore easier to weld on the 4" ferrule.
I wonder what would happen if I added a 2" to 1" sanitary reducer on the bottom?

I turned one into a fermenter but I went the easy way. I cut a hole near the spear hole for a corney lid. I took a blank 2" tri clover cover and installed a corney post and dip tube so that I can rack under pressure. In the corney cover I have installed a gas in post for and airlock and also to push the beer out.

Good luck with your project. Looking forward to see pictures!

got a question for you - how did you install the corny post? The only way I can see to do this is to use a post adapter (a 1/4" to 19/32" type thing). Is there an easier way?

Yeah, I think you're going to run into the same problems that people run into with the fermentap. It's not nearly steep enough to get good collection out of the bottom of it. You could always weld a cone onto the bottom of it... hmmm.

Conical Material Hoppers

got a question for you - how did you install the corny post? The only way I can see to do this is to use a post adapter (a 1/4" to 19/32" type thing). Is there an easier way?

Same way. I am sure there is an easier way to do it, but that is how I did it.

Latest posts

Back