Sanke 1/6 Barrels vs 5gal Ball Locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswant88

Reaction score
Hey all, this post may be a bit long. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through it all. I’ve got an opportunity to purchase some 1/6 barrel sanke kegs from a guy locally for $25 each. While I’ve not laid my own eyes on them, I’ve seen pictures. They appear in pretty good shape, and supposedly have been used half a dozen times or so. He claims to have 20 of them for sale, all in the same condition.

I’ve recently put together a keezer. I currently only have 1 ball lock keg, with plans to add an additional 3 over time, so I’m not yet too heavily invested in ball locks.

If I get the kegs for $25, I’ll need couplers ($30), and probably some beer shut-off valves ($20). This puts the cost exactly the same as a new ball lock keg from AIH.

Price being equal, the factors I have to consider are really just ease of use/cleaning, and reliability. I can tell you right now that I’ve already experienced a couple minor gas leaks from the gas post o-ring. The the o-rings are brand new and undamaged, and I’m using the higher quality cm Becker plastic disconnects. The liberal use of keg lube has stopped this leak a couple of times, but I can lightly jiggle the disconnect and reproduce it, even make it worse to the extent where I can hear the gas escaping. I’ve ordered some squared off o-rings to put on it to create a larger sealing surface. May try the quad-seal ones as well if that doesn’t work. Is this a common thing for ball lock kegs, and can I expect to deal with this sort of thing on all ball locks I get going forward? Do sanke kegs have this sort of finicky seals causing leaks?

I’ve also read that the spears on the sanke can be difficult to remove. There are purpose built tools, and I know some here have improvised tools for removing them. I guess my main concern is the smaller access for cleaning the interior of the kegs. What is the easiest method you’ve found for cleaning them?

Another concern of mine is filling the sanke. I like to do the closed pressure transfer from my fermenter. I fill the keg with star San, and purge it by pushing it all out into a bucket, then I have hose from the gas post going into the bucket to act as an airlock when I’m filling the keg through the liquid post. Is this technique possible with sanke kegs for low exposure to O2? I’m not exactly sure how the spears work inside, I’m assuming similar to a ball lock with the liquid intake at the bottom, and gas input up at the top.

So if you stuck it out and read all of that, considering all the factors, which would you choose? Any experiences with sankes are welcome, I’ve never used one so I know nothing except what I read. Thanks.

PS I planned to upload a picture of the kegs, but I’m being told that the single image I’m trying to upload is too large.

Edit: I forgot to mention line cleaning. How do you clean you sanke couplers. Do you remove it entirely and clean it separately, or is there a good way to hook up and run cleaner through the coupler and beer line simultaneously?

Last edited:
Quick and dirty reply-- I switched from ball lock cornelius kegs ~9 years ago and have zero regrets. Do it, and do it now!

Longer version: since you only have one keg at the moment, I would not hesitate and would go and buy those sanke kegs immediately before they are all gone! $25 a keg is a fabulous price.

If finances are tight, you can find used couplers cheaply (I've paid, and sold, couplers for as little as $5 each).

Removing the spear is only tricky the first, and maybe the second, time you do it. After that, the "mystery" is gone and I can probably remove the retaining ring and reinstall in probably 20 seconds-- with only tools you already own.

Cleaning is no harder than corney's in my opinion... actually easier because you do not have the small poppets, springs, etc. where debris can get lodged. Cleaning can be done as simply as adding a couple gallons of water, some PBW or oxiclean, and boiling water, with aluminum foil to cover the opening. Let sit for while and the steam and the cleaner will do the cleaning for you. Roll the keg to get the cleaner on all surfaces, empty, and rinse with a high-power hose. You can also build the popular sump pump/pond pump bucket keg cleaners.... that would make things even easier, but cost a little more up front.

Sankes are superior* in every way. Do it.

:mug:

*some may not like that they sanke kegs are heavier. I see it as a positive-- less likely to incur damage. And the weight to me is negligible.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I’m convinced. I’ll sell my current ball lock and go all sankes if I can. I’m going to contact the “guy” and arrange a “meet”. I want to see these things with my own eyes, and if they’re legit, I’m going to get as many as I can afford right now. As for how he obtained them, I don’t know, and I don’t intend to ask. So unless he volunteers the information, I’m just not going to worry about that.

I will update this thread with how it goes.

Get the sankes 100%

I've used both. Sankes win hands down. Never leak so never get funky and are all around better.

None of the O ring issues or clogged dip tubes or lids that may or my not be sealed

I've used the same kegs for years. My cleaning method is this this.
Open the keg and shoot some shower head water in it and swirl it around. Repeat a couple times. Simple as that.

I do a deep clean once in a blue moon. Dump in some Oxyclean, will with water and let soak a few hours. If I shine a flashlight in the keg they look shiny and brand new.

You dont need any shut off valves so take that out of your pricing. The shut off is at the reg and the same whether you use sanke or corny kegs. Will post a link to the line cleaning setup

I bought this. A little pricy yes but its heavy thick plastic and will most likely last forever. I've had mine for 6 years...how much time is it really being used, 5 minutes a month?

It makes cleaning your entire system so easy.
Fill tank with cleaner
Hook up coupler just like tapping a keg
Open faucet and let cleaner run through
You just cleaned your coupler, lines and faucet all by simply opening the faucet. I take apart my faucets maybe twice a year for a deep clean and they dont even need it

Could NOT get any easier

https://www.micromatic.com/1.3-gallon/cleaning-bottle-d-system-1.3-gallon-5-liter-m5-801147

@JONNYROTTEN when you say open the keg you mean pulling the spear? What’s your cleaning regimen for the spear itself? Do you just rinse it down or do you disassemble and remove the ball?

I do like that sanke style cleaner. Looks like AIH has a 10L steel one with 2 coupler connections for about $20 more. Both good options. Hell, if I can get these kegs for $25 I can probably just use one of those.

I’m pretty much sold on the sankes. My only concern now is the tear down and cleaning. I’m sure I could YouTube it but your advice is appreciated.

Still trying to arrange a meeting to go take a look at these things. With my luck, now that I’ve gotten myself all excited, the deal will fall through.

@JONNYROTTEN when you say open the keg you mean pulling the spear? What’s your cleaning regimen for the spear itself? Do you just rinse it down or do you disassemble and remove the ball?

I do like that sanke style cleaner. Looks like AIH has a 10L steel one with 2 coupler connections for about $20 more. Both good options. Hell, if I can get these kegs for $25 I can probably just use one of those.

I’m pretty much sold on the sankes. My only concern now is the tear down and cleaning. I’m sure I could YouTube it but your advice is appreciated.

Still trying to arrange a meeting to go take a look at these things. With my luck, now that I’ve gotten myself all excited, the deal will fall through.
I dont even think its possible to take apart the spear. I just take it out shoot some water down it to rinse it out a few times and thats it. I've never had a clog or obstruction in the spear. The only downfall would keg hopping that some people do. I dont know how you could do that with a sanke

I bought this. A little pricy yes but its heavy thick plastic and will most likely last forever. I've had mine for 6 years...how much time is it really being used, 5 minutes a month?

It makes cleaning your entire system so easy.
Fill tank with cleaner
Hook up coupler just like tapping a keg
Open faucet and let cleaner run through
You just cleaned your coupler, lines and faucet all by simply opening the faucet. I take apart my faucets maybe twice a year for a deep clean and they dont even need it

Could NOT get any easier

https://www.micromatic.com/1.3-gallon/cleaning-bottle-d-system-1.3-gallon-5-liter-m5-801147

I dont even think its possible to take apart the spear. I just take it out shoot some water down it to rinse it out a few times and thats it. I've never had a clog or obstruction in the spear. The only downfall would keg hopping that some people do. I dont know how you could do that with a sanke

What's the benefit of the cleaning bottle vs putting the cleaner in a keg? Using a keg would be bulkier but it would also clean the spear.

What's the benefit of the cleaning bottle vs putting the cleaner in a keg? Using a keg would be bulkier but it would also clean the spear.
Nothing except opening and closing the keg an extra time. The thing is the line cleaning only uses a small amount of liquid like a half gallon. Plus BLC line cleaner is strong stuff. For me its easier just to use the little tank and clean the keg separate. If you concerned about the spear just fill the keg to the top with some Oxy and drop the spear in and let it soak...I've done that many times.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I’m convinced. I’ll sell my current ball lock and go all sankes if I can. I’m going to contact the “guy” and arrange a “meet”. I want to see these things with my own eyes, and if they’re legit, I’m going to get as many as I can afford right now. As for how he obtained them, I don’t know, and I don’t intend to ask. So unless he volunteers the information, I’m just not going to worry about that.

I will update this thread with how it goes.

I started down the road of switching over to sankes and went back to BL (not really, I use both). Too many items utilizing BL posts started to come out. Now I have SS carbonator caps, growlers with BL lids, BL to tri clamp adapters in my tool box.

Well, looks like I'm not getting these kegs :( When I talked to this guy initially, he said he had 20 available, and sent me pictures. He's been ghosting me ever since. I tried calling him up multiple times, left messages, sent texts, emails. I haven't even gotten so much as "piss off" in reply.

Back