Sanitizing problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew99

Reaction score
I may have just made a huge mistake.

I sanitized my long white spoon in a 2 tablespoon of brewer's edge cleanser plus 1 gallon of hot water mix.

I put it aside and let it kind of drip dry for maybe 15-20 minutes. Then I poured my priming sugar into the priming tank, and stirred it around with the spoon. I forgot to rinse the spoon off after sanitizing it.

Is my entire batch ruined?

Just bottle your beer and wait and see. Anyways your only other option is to dump the batch so you have nothing to lose but the time it takes to bottle and it sounds like you are almost done anyways.

I think after waiting, you will see that you are fine, there is a lot of beer and a very small amount of chemical.

Well for starters, that's a cleanser and not a sanitizer. Brewer's Edge Iodophor is a sanitizer!

Obviously using a cleanser as a sanitizer is not appropriate, and it's not something you want in your beer. However, there probably wasn't a lot of it left on your spoon and my guess is you'll be perfectly fine.

My advice would be to continue bottling, and not worry about it! Then, buy a proper no-rinse sanitizer like StarSan or Iodophor.

people have stuck their dirty hands into their primary and not caused an infection.

you did increase your risk, but if everything else was sanitary, it was only a small risk.

keep going forward under the assumption is it not infected. its probably fine.

Latest posts

Back