Sanitary weld? Gounds for an exchange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey9_18

Reaction score
I bought 2 15G kettles. One is fine except for the top being a little out of round. The second one looks like it is a seconds/return/rework. I don't know what to call it but it has a lot of light scratches (for being brand new) top is significantly out of round and the inside "sanitary" weld looks like this.

Am I just being an anal prick or should I contact the manufacturer and ask for an exchange?

View attachment 1470104925146.jpg

That's a terrible weld. If the kettle was sold as 'new' I'd return it, however it looks like you've been working on it already?

All I have done is attach ball valve and thermometer and tested to see if the bad weld leaked.

Not the cleanest I've ever seen but not terrible. Looks like too much filler was added and had to be ground down a bit. I've seen way worse on the inside of my old keggles! End of the day you're not going to get an infection or anything since it's on the hot side of brewing but you spent the money and if you're not happy then talk to the manufacturer.

That's not 'too much filler.' That's burn-through, and it's not acceptable for an item sold as 'new.'

I wouldn't accept that as new, but I would be willing to keep iit at a discounted price.

Thanks for replies.
Contacted the manufacturer and they are sending out a replacement.

it's good thy are replacing it whoever it is. I bought "scratch and dent" Spike kettles that were supposed to have some cosmetic issues with a weld. They pristine compared to that picture : p

You should link this thread in their giveaway. Maybe they'll give you some free things as "hush money". :ban: Hush money is always a good thing

Haha...no hard feelings for them.... sucks that it happened, but they responded quickly and my new Kettle should be to me by Friday!

Haha...no hard feelings for them.... sucks that it happened, but they responded quickly and my new Kettle should be to me by Friday!

No one certainly wants to get a lemon, but the true test of a vendor is how they respond when things didn't work out right. Sounds to me like they're doing the responsible thing, and bully for them.

govner1 misread that post....it is Spike

Thanks. I was going to order a 15g MLT from them but now I'll reconsider.
Also of concern is that you said both you ordered were out of round. Certainly not the quality I would expect. A MLT with a kid that won't fit isn't very useful. Probably Chinese crap the but and "assemble" here.

FWIW, I received my 15 gallon Spike kettle in the mail yesterday. I had them install four tri clover ports, and since it was a custom job it took about three weeks to ship. I gave it a quick once over yesterday when it arrived and everything looks great. They even flared out the inside of the tri clover attachment points which was a nice touch. I suspect Spike orders their kettles from China, but they do their welding in house. Some Chinese factories produce very shoddy products, but others make a very nice product. I haven't checked it for roundness yet, but it passed the eye test, and the lid fits fine.

They were very easy to deal with and responsive when I was designing the kettle. It took about a week longer to ship than anticipated, and they sent me an update to notify me of the delay.

It sounds like the OP got a lemon, which is unfortunate. Hopefully they cover return shipping costs.

Thanks. I was going to order a 15g MLT from them but now I'll reconsider.
Also of concern is that you said both you ordered were out of round. Certainly not the quality I would expect. A MLT with a kid that won't fit isn't very useful. Probably Chinese crap the but and "assemble" here.

I received a ten gallon kettle last week and the welds are amazing and the condition of the kettle as well. Nothing about it screams Chinese. I think the OP got a kettle that was not intended to ship out most likely.

I own two 20 gallon Spike kettles that I had customized, I ordered them both at the same time. Both came in pristine condition with perfect welds and I had 2 inch TC installed on both kettles for an electric element. Not sure how or why you got the kettle with that type of welding on it, but, that is no where near how the welds on all of my ports are on both kettles (I have 3-4 ports on each kettle).

I'm happy with my 15 gallon kettle. Got mine during the bargain cave. You could barley tell it was dented. And the lid had a fixabled dent in it.

My 10 gallon Spike is perfect. That one is just one that slipped through. It happens. They are rectifying the issue, so now it becomes a non issue. I will order from them again.

My replacement kettle arrived last night. It looks great. Unfortunate that a bad weld slipped past QC, but their customer sevice stepped up and made good very quickly. Thank you Spike. If/when I upgrade again, to a direct fired mash tun, I will order from them with confidence to complete my set.

View attachment 1470492283441.jpg

Just got my bk

IMAG1051.jpg

Latest posts

Back