San Antonio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl_Brew

Reaction score
I have to spend a week(end) in San Antonio next month. What are the best places the grab a great beer and possibly a brewery tour? Blue Star is already on the list. I like Pete's, do they do tours? I'd even like to tour Pabst, PBR rocked a number of parties in my youth and I enjoy seeing the difference in equipment and methods between the huge breweries and 30 barrel micros. Are Pete's and Pabst connected? Google Earth shows them across the street from each other. I won't be able to make it to Austin this time around, but thank you in advance for all of the "Austin is better" suggestions.

Unfortunately all those crunchy hippies up in the People's Republic of Austin DO get a lot of the good beer in the Texas Hill Country...:D

But they DON'T get the best! Freetail Brewing has been repeatedly voted the best brewpub in Texas. Freetail Ale is a great session beer but don't leave without trying a Hopothesis...Mmmmmm....Hopothesis.....

Awesome variety of awesome brews :mug:

There is also the Dodging Duck right down the road in Boerne (burn-ee)...don't run over the ducks or geese!!!

My favorite local brewery is Real Ale in Blanco...tours on Friday only but worth the short drive up 281. You gotta look carefully for the road, there is no big sign for the brewery. Say hi to Mac and Chuggy for me!

Gabriels Liquor at Blanco and 1604 has a fantastic beer selection (you can snag some Real Ale there or at any HEB grocery store if you can't make the trip to the brewery). Be sure to ask for Robert. Very knowledgable beer guy and an OG homebrewer!

Real Ale is delicious. Shiner brewery isnt that far of a drive away, Shiner is decent compared to most commerical beers.

A friend just told me about Ranger Creek which i believe is in SA and is fairly new. if i remember correctly they only had 4 brews and they make whiskey as well. i'll see if i can find the site.

http://www.drinkrangercreek.com/

haven't tried it yet though

Thanks for the ideas. Freetail & Ranger creek are on the list. One of my meetings is practically nextdoor to Ranger Creek, I'll have to time it to end as the tasting room is opening.

Freetail currently has a dry-hopped IPA on tap right now; one of the best beers I've ever had. They don't make a bad beer. They do the brew-pub the way God intended.

Freetail currently has a dry-hopped IPA on tap right now; one of the best beers I've ever had. They don't make a bad beer. They do the brew-pub the way God intended.

Amen :rockin:

BTW, Real Ale just released Lost Gold IPA in bottles (first time I think) and if you tend towards the hop head end of the spectrum, this is a delicious, fresh, balanced IPA. Picked it up at Gabriel's, but should be showing up everywhere (read HEB!).

Amen :rockin:

BTW, Real Ale just released Lost Gold IPA in bottles (first time I think) and if you tend towards the hop head end of the spectrum, this is a delicious, fresh, balanced IPA. Picked it up at Gabriel's, but should be showing up everywhere (read HEB!).

sweet, i'll be on the lookout for that Lost Gold "everywhere" (HEB).
if anyone gets up to Austin, Lovejoy's and Uncle Billy's are great brew-pubs.

If you are here the week of May 15-22 Beer week will be going on... Another brewpub that is not to far is the Faust in New Braunfels, although I haven't been there since they started brewing again (2 months ago)... As for places just to grab a beer some of my favorites are Flying Saucer, The Friendly Spot, and Tap Exchange.

Back