Sample Testing - How/How Often

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvtpublic

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Reaction score
When my mead/beer is fermenting, how often should I sample/test and what's the best way of keeping everything from getting infected while drawing a sample?

Don't bother testing it until visual signs of fermentation have stopped. Once it looks like it might be done, then go ahead and test to see if you are raring your final gravity. Remember, when it first looks like it has stopped it hasn't. It has just slowed. Also, don't test it too often because the more you do the more you increase the chances of contaminating it.

Use a wine thief. Clean it with something like pbw and then sanitize with something like starsan. Should be good to go.

Would a baster work just as good as a wine thief? And what about when I pop off the bung, would the air coming in effect it?

I personally wouldn't use a used baster, but it is a common practice as long as it is cleaned well and sanitized. Of course, make sure that you squeeze the plunger prior to dipping the baster into the beer; you do not want to cause bubbles.
CO2 is generally "heavier" than oxygen so you will be fine by taking the cover/bung off for limited amounts of time. As long as you don't agitate the beer you'll be fine.

Ok, thanks. Luckily, I bought a baster specifically for sampling.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. And probably FV's whatever the heck those are....

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

I only take one sample before it goes into the keg. If it's not ready I will give it a week and try again. I figure anytime you take a sample you risk infection. Not very likely if you sanitize properly. But the risk is there none the less.

I only take one sample before it goes into the keg. If it's not ready I will give it a week and try again. I figure anytime you take a sample you risk infection. Not very likely if you sanitize properly. But the risk is there none the less.
Same here. No need to risk contamination.

Same here. No need to risk contamination.

You know, there is so much all over the place telling brewers, what not to do, do you actually think folks would be saying to use your hydrometer so much? Is it a vast conspiracy to ruin millions of new brewer's batches, so that they flee the hobby and give it a bad rap? Every book, every podcast, every posts talks about gravity of beer...how do you think they get them?

With proper care and simple sanitization, you run no risk of infecting your beer by taking a simple gravity reading.

Yes, we don't need to take a reading every 5 minutes of the brewing prcosess, (I take two, one at yeast pitch and one a month latter at bottling time) but one should NEVER not consider doing something as important as a hydrometer reading because we're afraid of contanimination...that is what get's new brewers counting airlock bubbles or anything else BESIDES taking a hydro reading.

Revy

No one said not to take readings. Just simply saying to minimize the number you take. No need to take a hydro reading 10 time on one batch. And I disagree about no contamination risk. With good sanitization the risk is greatly minimized. But there is still a risk. Those that take 10 readings a batch have a 10 times greater risk of infection then those that take one reading at the end. Assuming same sanitization technique.

Revy

No one said not to take readings. Just simply saying to minimize the number you take. No need to take a hydro reading 10 time on one batch. And I disagree about no contamination risk. With good sanitization the risk is greatly minimized. But there is still a risk. Those that take 10 readings a batch have a 10 times greater risk of infection then those that take one reading at the end. Assuming same sanitization technique.
Yeah, I just don't see the need to keep opening it up. We are talking about personal process here so it really is up to you--I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do.

My feeling is that you know if you're having a healthy fermentation or not, so then just wait three to four weeks for the beer to clean up and take a reading before racking.

I normally only take 2 readings. One the day I brew the other the day I keg. If the FG is too high at kegging time (extremely rare occurrence) then I take corrective action and monitor the gravity closer the rest of the way. I will also check gravity if I rack to secondary (also rare).

I'm another one that measures it post boil and doesn't touch it until I bottle. I let it sit at least three weeks in primary, then take a hydro reading and bottle at the same time. Just my preference to ensure no infection or oxidation!

Well as has been said - this is personal preference. I've had problems with the turkey baster in that it leaks back down into my carboy. So I got a wine theif.

But as has been stated here a baster can do it just fine with out problems. I'd say practice with the baster to make sure you won't get any leeks.

As to how frequently? I personally WANT to test several times to get a feel for how it is goin - afterwards I drink and don't return. :) But practically I don't take a sample until I think I'm done and ready to bottle, otherwise I end up with like zero beer to keg :)

I dont know if this is right or not but I take a test just before pitching.
Then I take my next at day 18/19 and then just before bottling.
Just my 2 cents.

Back