Sam75: Brewer, Fat Man, Martial Artist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Tonight, I took a big step. I attended my first Combat Hapkido session.

Long story short, I've learned what a big, gawky, awkward SOB I really am.

I was paired up with a big British dude, who also happens to hold a black belt in Tae Kwan Do. Now, he was as awkward as me when it came to learning some of these Hapkido moves, but goddamn if he didn't flatten my ass a couple times. He took me down and made my neck go, "crunch" at least twice.

I'm gonna be stiff as a board tomorrow, but holy crap....I can't wait to learn more of this stuff. :D

I teach a self-defense/control class that borrows a lot of moves from hapkido. It's good stuff.

Sam75 said:
Tonight, I took a big step. I attended my first Combat Hapkido session.

Long story short, I've learned what a big, gawky, awkward SOB I really am.

I was paired up with a big British dude, who also happens to hold a black belt in Tae Kwan Do. Now, he was as awkward as me when it came to learning some of these Hapkido moves, but goddamn if he didn't flatten my ass a couple times. He took me down and made my neck go, "crunch" at least twice.

I'm gonna be stiff as a board tomorrow, but holy crap....I can't wait to learn more of this stuff. :D

I'm not going to be your hitting dummy, but I hope you show me some new moves. My wife is catching onto the old ones. :D

Kephren said:
I teach a self-defense/control class that borrows a lot of moves from hapkido. It's good stuff.

That's cool. I'm hoping I can take it long enough and become a Drunken Master. :D

Brandon, I'll have you kicking her butt handily in a few months*. :D

*No, I'm not advocating spousal abuse. He and his wife just like to wrassle.

Sam75 said:
That's cool. I'm hoping I can take it long enough and become a Drunken Master. :D

Brandon, I'll have you kicking her butt handily in a few months*. :D

*No, I'm not advocating spousal abuse. He and his wife just like to wrassle.
my wife didn't find that funny, at all (she's watching me so i had to type that!). :eek:

We used to have a guy who worked with us and he was a black belt in something.

Funny thing was that from time to time he would come into work with black eyes and bruises.

We asked him what happened and he said his wife and kids ganged up on him.

Somehow we always ended up recommending he get a gun so he doesn't get his a$$ whipped next time. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
We used to have a guy who worked with us and he was a black belt in something.

Funny thing was that from time to time he would come into work with black eyes and bruises.

We asked him what happened and he said his wife and kids ganged up on him.

Somehow we always ended up recommending he get a gun so he doesn't get his a$$ whipped next time. :D

Yeah, my wife knows Tae Kwan Do, so I'll have to watch myself!

Took Tae Quon Do a few years ago with my wife and son. I'm not a really agressive person, but I really dug giving out some whoop-ass at the sparring sessions. Broke my ribs twice. That's a humbling experience.
Wife and I were sparring in the yard of a rental house on the job where I was working at the time. We were getting ready for a competition that was coming up. When we stopped, all the neighbors had come outside to watch. I'm 6' 1", and she's 5' 3 1/2". Looking back, it's a wonder nobody called the cops.

:rolleyes: Tae kwon do...lol

As long as you pay, you will advance. To commercialized. Sorry, it took me 6 years 4 nights a week for hours at a time to get to Black belt. I get a kick out the people now days who go for 2 -3 years and wa-la......Black Belt. Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

You know people who got their blackbelt in TKD in 2-3 years? I thought it took many years. In karate, I've seen 8 year-old blackbelts. That seems like bull. Learn the kata, move to the next belt. The instructor told me that one in 10,000 gets their blackbelt. We had two redbelts that student- taught. I'm a perpetual orange belt. No discipline.

sudsmonkey said:
You know people who got their blackbelt in TKD in 2-3 years? I thought it took many years. In karate, I've seen 8 year-old blackbelts. That seems like bull. Learn the kata, move to the next belt. The instructor told me that one in 10,000 gets their blackbelt. We had two redbelts that student- taught. I'm a perpetual orange belt. No discipline.

That's one thing I like about Combat Hapkido...no "kata" involved. Everything we learn is straight up self defense/fighting technique. When you learn to execute those moves, you move up.

I hope to make yellow belt by the next general election. :D

Back