Sam Adams cherry wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
So I picked up a sampler case of Sam Adams summer brews at Sam's Club the other day. It came with four each of six different "summer" beers. One of them was a cherry wheat. I thought that sounded interesting, so I cracked one open....
vomit-smiley-011.gif

WTF??? This is the worst beer I ever had. I'm not one to waste beer, so I choked it down, but I'd gladly take a hamm's over this vile concoction. Instead of summer, it reminded me of winter and the horrible cherry flavored cough syrup and cold medicine I always end up taking.

Does anyone like this stuff?

So I picked up a sampler case of Sam Adams summer brews at Sam's Club the other day. It came with four each of six different "summer" beers. One of them was a cherry wheat. I thought that sounded interesting, so I cracked one open....
vomit-smiley-011.gif

WTF??? This is the worst beer I ever had. I'm not one to waste beer, so I choked it down, but I'd gladly take a hamm's over this vile concoction. Instead of summer, it reminded me of winter and the horrible cherry flavored cough syrup and cold medicine I always end up taking.

Does anyone like this stuff?

I have been very vocal of my hatred for this beer, It is the worst beer I have ever tried. The red liquid Nyquel comes to mind when I first tasted it. It is god awful.

I totally agree - it's absolutely abysmal, and quite likely the worst beer I've ever had (aside from infected homebrew). It's an embarrassment to the craft beer industry.

This is just known among my friends as awful. 2 weeks ago we made a deal with one friend that we would pay for every one of his beers at the bar if he only drank cherry wheats. Reluctantly he complied. That stuff is just gross.

This is the first beer I ever tasted, I must have been 11 at the time.

I loved it.

I haven't had a taste since, and I'm sure I would hate it.

The red liquid Nyquel comes to mind when I first tasted it. It is god awful.

Yes, it definately has a medicinal taste to it. If I would have brewed this myself, I would immediately have jumped on here and posted something along the lines of: "IS MY BEER RUINED?!?! It tastes like medicine!" I'm starting to gag right now just thinking of the taste it left in my mouth last night.

Wow, about 5 people who have never actually tasted cherry cough syrup.

I'm going to have to disagree, and I am not a fan of fruity beers, especially not fruity wheats (I don't even care for American wheats at all, actually). The cherry wheat is one of my favorite summer beers, and like Sam Adams cranberry lambic, actually tastes like real fruit rather than artificial crap like many fruit beers.

So yes, I adore it, and when I lived in a place that didn't carry the cherry wheat in ANY stores except in that summer pack, I bought the whole pack JUST for the cherry wheat. Everything else was a bonus (well, not the "hefeweizen" or the white ale, but the others were tasty).

Should I post my address so that everyone can mail me those bottles of cherry wheat from the summer pack? :ban:

The cherry wheat is one of my favorite summer beers, and like Sam Adams cranberry lambic, actually tastes like real fruit rather than artificial crap like many fruit beers.

Hmmm... you obviously have unique taste buds! ;)

I disagree with the statement that it tastes like real fruit and not artificial crap. This tastes just like all the artificial cherry flavored medicines I've had over the course of my life. I've eaten many real cherries as well, and not one of them tasted like this.

To each his own though. I'd send mine your way, but I really need the bottles...

I'm not going to lie, I feel pretty confident saying that the cherry wheat and cranberry lambic are two of the worst beers around. Nothing about them is good. Obviously someone is drinking them as they continue to produce the stuff, but there are sooooo many better fruit beers out there I just don't understand this stuff.

On a funny note.... when I was in college, I had a friend who like to sample beer with my buddy and I. One day he bought the cherry wheat, brought it to our house, and proclaimed he thought it would be awesome if "this was his beer" that he drank all the time. I have never let this statement go and we all still make fun of him for it.

No offense to anyone who does like this beer, but holy cow is it bad
vomit-smiley-024.gif

I've heard people say it's mediciney too and I'm just not getting that. Leinie's Berry Weizen or whatever - definitely. Ugh. But this is one of the only fruit beers I like.

Anyway, I'm just glad I had a chance to use the mad face icon :c )

Oh come on - who doesn't like lambics? ;c ) I was talking about American adding-****-to-beer. Lambics are in a class of their own.

Can we cuss here, BTW?

<points to herself with both thumbs> Yo.

What fruity beers do you like? I like Pyramid's apricot Hefe and Spanish Peaks' Raspberry Ale, and that's it!

Spanish Peaks Raspberry is one of the very few I like, but then I cut my teath at the Spanish Peaks brew pub in college when it opened, including ending my 21st birthday there with some sort of style:tank:. Sadly, the brew pub is no longer.

If you are looking for good fruit beers they are going to be more expensive. I like Cantillion's Lambics (pricey but worth it), Oude Bersel, some Lindemann's, Melbourne (I think that is the name, they make a wicked good strawberry ale), Unibroue's Ephemere series, New Glaurus Belgian Red and Raspberry tart, ....., Major Tom's Pomegranate wheat isn't too bad, ...., tough to think of beers off the top of me head. If you are really interested in trying some new fruit beers, I suggest checking out beeradvocate.com and ratebeer.com. I don't pay too much attention to the reviews but the ratings are generally a pretty good indicator of whether something is worth the cash!

Cheers

:Edit: Sorry I didn't know Lambics were out of the equation. ;)

Lambics are expensive. I've had Oude Bersel as well, and Lindeman's (Kriek and framboise) but that's about all I've tried. I definitely want to try more! Thanks for the list.

BTW - my husband just went to a beer store tonight and passed up the chance to get a growler of Ephemere! I'm thinking of sending him back. I've heard nothing but good things.

Oops - my fault - I'm the one who mentioned lambics first anyway so I was misleading. Though Sam Adams cranberry lambic, while tasty, doesn't seem like a true lambic to me.

I've heard people say it's mediciney too and I'm just not getting that. Leinie's Berry Weizen or whatever - definitely. Ugh. But this is one of the only fruit beers I like.

Anyway, I'm just glad I had a chance to use the mad face icon :c )

Leinie's Berry White is divine compared to this junk.

I wish I had read this thread prior to going to the grocery, seeing the Cherry Wheat on the shelves, thinking "I like Cherries and it won an award, it can't be that bad'" - because it was that bad - the cough syrup descriptions are right on the money.

My Dad loves SA Cherry Wheat, but I think it is disgusting. I dislike most things cherry-flavored, but this is an insult to beer. I did make him a homebrew batch of Cherry Wheat, and he and I (and everyone else who tried it) thought it was tasty; he was surprised that it was better than the commercial brew. It was a kit from Midwest, if anyone cares!

I always thought it tasted like heartburn. It's the single reason I won't buy the seasonal collection sampler. Bleagh...

I tried it a while back and wasn't very impressed. Well, I like to think my tastes have evolved since then, so I picked some up the other day. I can now say that I have a better understanding as to why I don't like this beer! It just tastes bad.

Sorry. I do like the blueberry ale I picked up this spring, and a peach ale I had too, but this is not good.

The Sam Adam's cherry wheat isn't THAT bad... it's more artificial cherry than cough syrup, imo. Not a good example of a wheat beer... or a fruit beer really... but not "horrid".

Definitely artificial cherry taste. Definitely too much artificial cherry taste . . . for me at least. But I bought it, so I choked it down. If I recall correctly, they were pop top bottles, so they got used for homebrew at least. Not a total loss.

The Sam Adam's cherry wheat isn't THAT bad... it's more artificial cherry than cough syrup, imo. Not a good example of a wheat beer... or a fruit beer really... but not "horrid".

Well said.

I don't think it's that bad -- it just has that really overpowering artificial cherry taste. I've used it as a base for a few black 'n tans -- er, black cherries -- before. :D

I actually dont mind the Cherry Wheat. I think it comes down to your past experiences with certain medacines and being sick. Its like when you get totally **** faced off something and get a horrid hangover, it just doesnt taste the same again.

Back