Saison w/ chamomile and honey malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froyd

Reaction score
Want a sweet/mellow saison with a bit of chamomile in it. Would want to downplay crisp/zesty/tart notes without throwing the balance completely off. Here is my starting point, but thinking of dropping 1# or 2 of the wheat in favor of more pale malt:

3 lbs Light Dry Extract 48.0 %
3 lbs Wheat Dry Extract 48.0 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt [Steeping] 4%
1.50 oz Styrian Golding (Savinja Golding) [5.25 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 19.5 IBUs -
0.50 oz Styrian Golding (Savinja Golding) [5.25 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 3.4 IBUs -
1.00 oz Chamomile (steep 10 minutes at flame out)
French Saison yeast

Any suggestions for improvements?

Although sweet is not something you would want in a Farmhouse Ale or anything dry, you can mash high and add more honey malt. The percepttion of sweetness can also be enhanced by lowering the IBUs.

Last edited:
1oz camomille was too much for my taste. Covered some of the flavor with some Hallertau in the keg and several months in the flavors have blended in acceptably.

Next time I'll only use 0.5oz or less, then add more in the keg (like dry hoping) if needed.

Latest posts

Back