Saison vs. Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fossill88

Reaction score
Hey guys having a debate with a coworker is there any significant difference between saisons and a farmhouse are they relatively the same just a different names because marketing? Both wild yeast? Or no? Fruit in both with spices?

Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In my opinion, there is no significant difference between a saison and a farmhouse ale because a saison is a Belgian farmhouse ale

All saisons are farmhouse ales, but not all farmhouse ales are saisons. Make sense?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Home Brew mobile app

BeerAdvocate does a good job of describing it.

"Saisons are sturdy farmhouse ale that was traditionally brewed in the winter, to be consumed throughout the summer months. Not so long ago it was close to being an endangered style, but over recent years there's been a massive revival; especially in the US.

This is a very complex style; many are very fruity in the aroma and flavor. Look for earthy yeast tones, mild to moderate tartness. Lots of spice and with a medium bitterness. They tend to be semi-dry with many only having touch of sweetness." -BeerAdvocate

I've heard some describe it as similar to Trappist vs. Abbey beer. Saisons are made in Belgian or French farmhouses, Farmhouse beers are made in other places or parts of the world. Farmhouse is probably a broader category, but saisons are much more varied than just Saison DuPont too.

I agree that Saison is a Farmhouse Ale and Farmhouse Ale can be nearly anything with that rustic rural feel. Varied and local ingredients are a thing that I look for in a Farmhouse Ale. I look for another grain in addition to barley. Wheat, Spelt, Oats...something that will round the edges and add a complexity.

The word "rustic" says it all to me. I like to be unsure how to nail down the flavors and aromas. Some character from the yeast than can mingle and be confused with fruitiness and spice from hop character. Some cloudiness that keeps it from looking refined. The possibility of some wild fermentation characteristics.

Maybe some local flowers or herbs to add a sense of "terrior".

Back