Rye IPA Pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksubowman

Reaction score
Hey crew, I brewed up an Red Rye IPA and dry hopped in a seocndary for 5 days. Day 3 of dry hopping no Pellicle, then it showed up on day 5. I primed and bottle the beer not really knowing what to do. I am pretty sure I had to much head space in my secondary carboy. I have no pics, so I know its hard to explain, but the pellicle was very thin and the bubbles very tiny. They have been bottled for 5 days now and no pellicle has shown up in the bottle yet. When I bottled, it tasted fine and I racked from underneath. Has anyone had this happen and their beer still turn out good?

sure, it's happened all kinds of ways. if it is infected the bugs may continue to change the character of the beer over time but there is no telling if it will be for better or worse.

If you can after its carbed try to keep it as cold as you can to suppress any Brett character. Cheers.

Back