rum beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
nothing specific in mind i was just wondering if anyone has thought about making a rum beer. not sure what beer style to use but add molasses oak and coconut. discuss.

Sounds like an interesting idea to me. The coconut and rum combination sounds delicious to me. The only time I have used rum in brewing was to sterilize some vanilla beans that I added to the secondary of my vanilla porter.

I was actually looking this morning at what firkin Dry Dock is tapping this Friday....Spiced Rum Raisin Old Ale! Not sure if I'll still be in Denver by the time they tap it, but I'll let you know if I get a taste

I have been toying around with the idea of a Vanilla Coconut Porter aged on rum soaked oak chips for a while. This may be something I shoot for this fall.

so probably no molasses. just used rum soaked roasted oak cubes?

also roast some coconut and throw that in there.

I think this would work with a Stout or a Porter. Definitely add the molasses to get a nice rummy flavor - I used some in my latest barley wine and it has a distinct run note to it.

I've been on the prowl for a good simple porter recipe for the last couple days. So I'm thinking of making the porter and then adding the molasses into the boil at like 15 minutes left. After two weeks in the primary I would put some oak cubes and roasted coconut into my secondary and rack the beer onto it. Then ferment another two weeks and then bottle.

Sound like a smart plan?

I've been on the prowl for a good simple porter recipe for the last couple days. So I'm thinking of making the porter and then adding the molasses into the boil at like 15 minutes left. After two weeks in the primary I would put some oak cubes and roasted coconut into my secondary and rack the beer onto it. Then ferment another two weeks and then bottle.

Sound like a smart plan?

That sounds delicious!

I may do a batch of it myself in the next couple months, I love being piratey :D

I dumped 3 lbs of brown sugar and 2 gallons of water on a caramel amber yeast cake (WL irish ale) and it made a rum like substance. Good mixed with coke!

so probably no molasses. just used rum soaked roasted oak cubes?

Theirs is one base beer split between 4 barrels (rum, wine, apple brandy*, and bourbon), so they're not going to use molasses in the base and have it conflict with the other barrels.

The rum one tastes _really_ rummy, but there's no reason not to go with a bit of molasses too if you're only using it for a rum version.

Alternatively, split it 2-4 ways with different oaks/liquors; you could still incrementally feed the rum version some molasses upon racking it!

I keep meaning to buy 5 glass gallons of organic apple juice to make a batch of apfelwein and have some fermenters for little experiments like that.

*The apple brandy barrel-aged version is spectacular

I keep meaning to buy 5 glass gallons of organic apple juice to make a batch of apfelwein and have some fermenters for little experiments like that.

yeah i was thinking of doing that to try different ratios of ingredients and such. luckily my LHBS is midwest supplies and they have empty gallon glass jugs for $5 a pop.

I thought the balance of spice and earthiness would support a rum kick. Thoughts?

...and if I were to preform such a feat...how much extract should I add...and when?

I brewed a porter with molasses and it turned out great. I just threw it in on a whim and loaded it down. Nice rummy taste when the flavors finally mellowed out.

That sounds pretty tasty, I may try doing that in the future.

How much coconut is good to use?

I had great results only using a lb of toasted coconut in a 5 gal batch. Could definitely notice the coconut in the taste but it was in no way overpowering.

suppose i should throw in some unmalted wheat or oats to help with head.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that if you're using dried coconut and then toast it, you shouldn't have too much trouble with head retention (at least I didn't). I also used 3/4 lb of flaked oats as well to help with the head.

I just brewed an 'old ale' as a big brew with the local Long Beach Home Brewers club. I havent pitched the yeast yet. Will do so tonight, but I'm looking to spice this up a little more. I want to add rum and allspice (Coconut sounds awesome too). I'm probably going to take some rum and load it up with all spice and toasted coconut and then add it to the primary after fermentation is complete. What do you guys think?

hmmm, been thinking about making a tropical pale ale. Thought about something like Bass but with coconut & lime taste.

Thinking it might be good to mix wood chips, rum and fresh coconut for several weeks. Drain out the rum and coconut and use the wood chips to use as the aging/flavoring media.

Any thoughts?

Lime would be afterwards, more as a garnish like putting an orange slice on a witbier.

Back