Rubber Carboy Stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeRad77

Reaction score
Was brewing my second batch of beer yesterday. I pitched the yeast, and the person helping me put the sanitized stopper into the carboy so we could shake it up before we put the blow off tube on. Not sure how he managed, but the stopper ended up floating inside the carboy. Not knowing what else to do, we racked the beer into a sanitized bottling bucket, removed the stopper from the carboy, and racked the beer back into the carboy. My concern is we lost some of the yeast when we transferred back and forth. It seems to be fermenting just fine this morning, but would it be a good idea to pitch another packet of yeast? I have since read that if this happens again, just to leave the stopper in there and not mess with it.

Yes leave it in, and get yourself some stoppers that are a half size too big. The yeast will be fine, although you should aerate before pitching the yeast. They will "do it" and make babies for a while before fermenting anyway.

We have all pushed the stopper in at one time or another but usually just leave it in there until after the beer is finished. You might want to look at getting some universal bungs or carboy caps. :D

Welcome to HBT!

Back