RTD sensors on HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thach1aj

Reaction score
I have RTD sensors for my MT and HLT but I am trying to figure out where I should place them to get the best efficient out of them. I have seen people install sensors straight into the HLT and MT but I have seen it where people insert them on the outside into a T fittings on the ball valve. I guess I am wondering if anyone has some ideas on the best way to do this?

I mounted mine on the "out" port of my herms coil. That way I can measure the temp of anything I pump through the coil.

I had thought about putting a blichmann thrumometer on the return port back to the Mash tun but that would be a good way to go about it too

think about what you are trying to measure. a temperature probe is really measuring the temperature of one small area in 3 dimensional space. do you want to know the temp of the center of the mash, the bottom or top of the mash, or of the liquid exiting the valve, or returning from the pump, or...?

the answer is highly dependant on your own particular system, and what you are trying to measure.

personally, i have one mounted in the side of the HLT and mash tun, about 1/3 up from the bottom, and going 6" into the center of the kettle. i have another on the output of my HERMS coil.

Back