Round Mash Tun Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
I have a 10 Gal round cooler and was looking for a way to mount a thermometer. Came across this and was wondering anyone's opinions on it. Was just gonna drill a hole in the lid and mount it, might even through some expanding foam in lid also. It reaches from top of lid to bottom with a few inches to spare if my measurement are correct. Says its -+1.8 F accurate and waterproof. Would i have to worry about sealing the hole i drill so heat can not escape past or would it seal itself from the thermometer.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt610b_12+24.html

I wouldn't worry about heat escaping through the hole, assuming the hole is just large enough to fit the probe.

Accuracy might be an issue though. That seems like quite a swing. But, if it's consistent, and you can compensate for the inaccuracy, I wouldn't worry about that either.

What thermometer would you recommend? Is there a better or easier way to go about doing this than dropping a 2 foot thermometer through the lid? I really want to know my mash temp with out having to open the lid and check.

I'm not going all grain until this summer... Just so ya know ;)

Your other option would be a thermowell through the side and thermometer. A few issues with that are you have the thermowell sticking into your cooler while you're cleaning, and it might be more expensive than sticking to your original plan. (Now you have to buy a thermowell, AND a thermometer) And most thermowells are not very long, and would measure the mash temp at the edge of the grain bed (Not that that's that big of an issue) Dropping a long probe through the lid should get you right to the middle.

As long as you're not recirculating I would think sticking a thermometer through the lid is going to be the easiest, and the cheapest option to get your mash temp.

Back