Root Beer Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to brewing, and i am looking for every way possible to save money. Iam going to bottle in about a month. I was thinking of buying a case of rootbeers and recycling the bottles for bottling. How would i clean the bottles, or is this even advisable? Thanks!

As long as they are not twist cap, go for it! You can clean with soap and water or PBW - it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you clean right after drinking. Then sanitize and you're ready to bottle.

If you mean the plastic bottles, they will not work. The oils in root beer impregnate anything plastic and your beer will have a root-beery off-flavor. If you mean twist cap glass bottles, I have read that some people have good luck recapping them, but a lot of people don't.

27unclejames24 said:
Ya they are glass, ibc root beer bottles. Is there any trick to capping them or do i have to wingit?

I've heard that people have better luck with a bench capper than a wing capper. I've never tried it myself though.

The twist cap bottles won't work - the treads leave room for air to get in and you will likely end up with infected beer. Learned that the hard way - I accidentally left one twist cap in with a bunch of regular bottles. The beer in that bottle turned green. There just isn't a good way to recap twist cap bottles that I know of.

A better idea is to beg your friends and family for crown cap bottles, or go to your local bottle deposit. Sometimes they will let you buy them back for the return cost. If you have an LHBS, they should sell bottles too. Mine sells them for $13 for 24, but they also let you rummage through their returns. Also, you should be buying craft beer for "research" purposes. ;-)

At our store IBC rootbeer is almost as expensive as some beer. It is always cheaper to buy bottles from HBS, usually $0.50 per bottle. If you belong to Costco you can find cases of beer (Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams) for $1.00 per bottle or so, that are pry off.

Regarding using twist off caps. I use them frequently, especially the small 7oz pony bottles from coors light and bud light. I like to use these bottles to use as my test bottles for carbonation. I have never had any problems. I actually have some oaked crandaddy braggot that is over 6 months old in small twist top bottles and have not had any problems. Pry off bottles are still the best to avoid any problems.

The most important thing if you have a wing capper is the head/collar of the bottle. The head/collar needs to be thick for the capper to grab. There are some pry off bottles that I have trouble using because of this. Abita is one that I can think off.

HBS is my abbreviation for Home Brewing Store.

Looks like you have a store, Grape & Grain in your city. Usually buying bottles local is cheaper than mail order because of shipping size weight and breakage.

Latest posts

Back