Roll-On Bedliner for Kegs ***Pictures Soon***

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared311

Reaction score
Note: I need to wait a paycheck or two and then I am going to purchase a premium membership, so pictures will be coming soon! :mug:

After wrapping my HLT, MLT, and BK in several layers of reflectix, I decided I wanted to add a protective layer. Something that would be waterproof and durable. I strolled across Wort Monger's thread and decided that I would try to use a truck bedliner as well. However, I called several different local companies and none were willing to coat my kegs with any leftover material. Then it hit me, why don't I just purchase the material myself and give it a try. I ended up purchasing a gallon of black Herculiner off of ebay for $50. Other then the huge mess I made in my basement, the job was easy. One gallon of bedliner turned out to be more then plenty. I was able to do around 5 coats on each keg.

However, the one thing I am concerned about is that although the bedliner material has solidified, it isn't hard. Since the reflectix is squishy, I can still push the bedliner inward and am worried I could potentially ruin the crafty job. Does anyone know of a cheap adhesive or something I can coat it in to create a harder layer before I apply any additional coats of bedliner???

Liquid Nails makes a contractors grade sealant/adhesive that is hard core and drys rock hard.

Liquid Nails makes a contractors grade sealant/adhesive that is hard core and drys rock hard.

Yeah, I was thinking of using a variation of liquid nails. I guess I could squirt a ton on a piece of cardboard and just spread it on like spackle.

I'm confused, did you put the reflectix on first then the Herculiner???

I've applied Herculiner to my truck and to my brother's as well. It's supposed to have a hard yet rubbery texture to it. That's some cool stuff and works well. But I'm not sure how well it will hold up on a malleable surface. I cant wait to see your pix of this!

I've applied Herculliner to my truck and to my brother's as well. It's supposed to have hard yet rubbery texture to it. I'm wondering if yours is soft because of the number of coats you applied. I wouldn't worry about it. That's some cool stuff and works well. I cant wait to see your pix of this!

Yeah, I placed several layers of the reflectix first around the keg and then the bedliner. What I learned is that it is actually more rubbery then hard. Your truck liner seems harder only because it is backed by the metal bedding. In areas of my keg where there is no insulation, it feels harder like it would on a truck.

My opinion for next time would be to use rynoliner, it's somewhat rubbery, but its tough as nails and seals itself. I have it on my trucks at work and wouldn't use anything else. This stuff rocks!

My opinion for next time would be to use rynoliner, it's somewhat rubbery, but its tough as nails and seals itself. I have it on my trucks at work and wouldn't use anything else. This stuff rocks!

I really think that the difference is that your truck bed is solid where as my insulation is not. I coated some parts of the keg that didn't have insulation and the liner seemed just as solid as one you would find in a truck.

Rhino Linings

This is what I was thinking of when you were talking about putting the bed liner on kegs, I saw this on their site when I was finding a new dealer(our old one was a crook:mad:).

Rhino Linings

This is what I was thinking of when you were talking about putting the bed liner on kegs, I saw this on their site when I was finding a new dealer(our old one was a crook:mad:).

That looks really nice. The problem I am having though is that I have already comiited to the DIY path. I am still open for other possible adhesives that will be easy to spread around the keg and create a solid layer.

The real advantage of using the bedliner is to ensure that the somewhat expensive insulation is not ruined. However, looks might have also played a role in my decision... :cool:

how's this stuff work with heat from, say... like, a brew rig?

I'm curious too......I wouldn't imagine that they intended to put a coated truck bed over a multiple thousand BTU burner.

My setup is completely electric so I won't be experiencing any extreme temperatures directly on the bedliner. I still have the one gallon can at home, so I can check it out and let you know what kind of temperatures it is rated for.

Check out this thread by WortMonger. His MLT is the dogs bollocks and if you PM him, he may be able to give you some more info.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-hlt-project-49928/

Yeah, I got the idea from Wort Monger. I posted a question in his thread already so hopefully he will have some useful advice.

There's no way these coatings would hold up to a direct fired tun. Even if they did, you wouldn't want reflectix to be the core insulation. The plastic cells would just melt down over time. The stuff I'd look at is ceramic fiber batting/blankets.

I think a more stable solution for the reflectix/rhino combo would be to do a single layer of reflectix, then rhino and then if you wanted more, do another layer of each.

If you go through a good body shop of through an auto parts dealer(Parts PLus, NAPA, Auto Value, not the Zone or Advance), resin and hardener plus some other supplies(rubber spats, mixing tubs, applicator wands) should let you get out of there for under a hundred bones. Tint and stuff might be extra, depending on what you need or want.

I am guessing that fiberglass wouldn't hold up to a direct flame. If I recall, the resins used are flammable.

I wonder if a resin for carbon fiber would work with the fiberglass mat. I have quite a few friends who have old hot rods with most of the front clip in carbon fiber, and it stands up quite well to the 200 degree heat from the engine. Maybe a non-flammable resin and hardener with a non flammable mat........ if you can find it, let me know, my gear heap buddies would make all kinds of stuff out of it.

Back