Rogue Hazelnut Brown - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KettleCorn

Reaction score
Ok. I am trying to piece together a translation of a clone an "Extract with Specialty Grains" recipe of the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale. I need some help with the translation.

I found this:

From BYO Clones:

5GAL/ Partial Mash
OG=1.056 FG=1.014
IBUs=33 SRM=32 ABV=5.7

1.75 lbs Coopers Light DME
3.3 lbs. Coopers Light LME (late addition)
9oz Hugh Baird Brown Malt
1.5 lbs Munich
5.6 oz crystal malt (15)
1lb 3 oz CrystalMalt (75)
5.6 oz CrystalMalt (120)
3.8 oz Pale Chocolate Malt

7.8 AAUs Perle Hops (60 Min)
1.75 AAUs Saaz Hope (30 MIn)
1 tsp Irish Moss

Here is my translation to match to my LHBS and also to plug into BeerSmith freindly inputs:

1.75 lbs Dark LME (for the Coopers Light DME) - thoughts?
3.3 lbs. Dark LME (for the Coopers Light LME (late addition)) - thoughts?
9.0 oz Brown Malt 65 SRM (for the Hugh Baird Brown Malt) - thoughts?
1.5 lbs Munich 9.0SRM (for the Munich) - easy translation here
5.6 oz Crystal malt 20 (for the 15) - easy translation here
1lb 3 oz CrystalMalt 80 (for the 75) - easy translation here
5.6 oz CrystalMalt 120 - easy translation here
3.8 oz Chocolate Malt 350SRM (for the Pale Chocolate Malt) - easy translation here
1.5 oz = 7.8 AAUs Perle Hops (60 Min) - This is close rounded up
1.0 oz = 1.75 AAUs Saaz Hope (30 MIn) - this is close rounded up
1 tsp Irish Moss - hmm what is this for?

WLP001 I'll get this one instead of the Wyeast 1056
1/8 oz Stearns and Lehman Flavor-mate hazelnut flavoring any thoughts where to I get this?/)
I understand all the details below here
Steep Grains in 6.3 qts at 154 for 30 min Sparge at 170 with 3.2 qts. Add waterto make 3 Gal stir in DME and boil
Add Perle at 60, Saaz at 30, LME and Irish Moss at 15 min
Ferment at 60 degrees for 1 week, add Hazelnut flavor to secondary.

With the substitions above I get a beersmith reading of:
5GAL/ Partial Mash
OG=1.058 FG=1.014
IBUs=28 SRM=27 ABV=6.1

Pretty close, but made me ask the substition / translation questions above.
Thanks!!!!
:mug:

Ok. I am trying to piece together a translation of a clone an "Extract with Specialty Grains" recipe of the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale. I need some help with the translation.

I found this:

From BYO Clones:

5GAL/ Partial Mash
OG=1.056 FG=1.014
IBUs=33 SRM=32 ABV=5.7

1.75 lbs Coopers Light DME
3.3 lbs. Coopers Light LME (late addition)
9oz Hugh Baird Brown Malt
1.5 lbs Munich
5.6 oz crystal malt (15)
1lb 3 oz CrystalMalt (75)
5.6 oz CrystalMalt (120)
3.8 oz Pale Chocolate Malt

7.8 AAUs Perle Hops (60 Min)
1.75 AAUs Saaz Hope (30 MIn)
1 tsp Irish Moss

Here is my translation to match to my LHBS and also to plug into BeerSmith freindly inputs:

1.75 lbs Dark LME (for the Coopers Light DME) - thoughts?
3.3 lbs. Dark LME (for the Coopers Light LME (late addition)) - thoughts?
9.0 oz Brown Malt 65 SRM (for the Hugh Baird Brown Malt) - thoughts?
1.5 lbs Munich 9.0SRM (for the Munich) - easy translation here
5.6 oz Crystal malt 20 (for the 15) - easy translation here
1lb 3 oz CrystalMalt 80 (for the 75) - easy translation here
5.6 oz CrystalMalt 120 - easy translation here
3.8 oz Chocolate Malt 350SRM (for the Pale Chocolate Malt) - easy translation here
1.5 oz = 7.8 AAUs Perle Hops (60 Min) - This is close rounded up
1.0 oz = 1.75 AAUs Saaz Hope (30 MIn) - this is close rounded up
1 tsp Irish Moss - hmm what is this for?

WLP001 I'll get this one instead of the Wyeast 1056
1/8 oz Stearns and Lehman Flavor-mate hazelnut flavoring any thoughts where to I get this?/)
I understand all the details below here
Steep Grains in 6.3 qts at 154 for 30 min Sparge at 170 with 3.2 qts. Add waterto make 3 Gal stir in DME and boil
Add Perle at 60, Saaz at 30, LME and Irish Moss at 15 min
Ferment at 60 degrees for 1 week, add Hazelnut flavor to secondary.

With the substitions above I get a beersmith reading of:
5GAL/ Partial Mash
OG=1.058 FG=1.014
IBUs=28 SRM=27 ABV=6.1

Pretty close, but made me ask the substition / translation questions above.
Thanks!!!!
:mug:

I brewed this about a month and half to two months ago. I think it turned out pretty good. This looks like the recipe from BYO which if it is, the recipe is quite off though for the OG that it says you should get and what you get when you type it in. I don't have notes in front of me but I want to say you need another 1.5-2 lbs of DME to hit the OG it should be. If you go to your LHBS just ask for hazelnut extract, they should have it. Mix it slowly in as a little goes a long way. I put just a tad too much, and while it's still good i wish it wouldn't have SO much hazelnut flavor... Although all of the people who have tried it really like it.
The only other thing I would change in this recipe would be to add a touch more chocolate malt and maybe a bit more brown malt. I think it was a touch on the lighter side. Again not much just slightly.
You don't need to add hzlnut to secondary, just add right before bottling or into the keg.

Otherwise it was a good beer.

Matteo57
- Easy on the extract - Good advice!! - thanks
- Great insider info - THANKS!!!!
- I'll add follow your advice to add a bit of LME too

- Did you use Cooper LME?

TimpanogosSlim
- Thanks. They have both but said: Foogles might be better....

All
- Called the LHBS and they have everything except the Hazelnut Extract. My local groc and the local "Health Nut" store does not stock it either... Thoughts?
Anybody local have any intel ;)

Thanks

I used Flavorganics natural hazelnut extract i bought via amazon, but i don't have any tasting results yet. I just know it smells great.

The amount you'll need is anyone's guess. There used to be kits you could buy for this beer, that came with a 100ml bottle of something, and you added the whole bottle - but others have reported that 100ml of some other extract was way too much.

Hazel Nut Extract -- I think I am going to go with .13 Oz which is very very little. But the amount recommended by some who added .25 oz and wished they only did half...

When I get cherry coke at the fountain I am the guy the gets 99% Coke then adds a 1/2 second burst of charry Coke and that is WAY better then 100% Cherry Coke ;)

As the little old lady of yesteryear who'd walk next door to borrow a cup of sugar...
Anybody local enough for me to walk over and borrow .25oz of Hazelnut Extract.. Hahaha..

Amazon is a good idea. I dont need it right away if I am just tossing it into the secondary before bottling anyway.

Oh yea, Irish Moss... Uh... Why?

Any of the other substitutions look wacky? :D

Irish Moss is, confusingly enough, a dried seaweed product that is flavorless but high in karageenan, which is a bit like gelatin.

When you add it to the boil in the last 10 to 15 minutes before flameout, it causes proteins to clump together and fall out as sediment - instead of staying in solution and making your beer cloudy.

The dosage is 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons.

Whirlfloc tablets are a refined version of the same thing. Some people feel that it is more effective than irish moss. I've never tried whirlfloc, but find that irish moss works great and is very, very cheap. the 2oz packet i paid $2.50 for will last me a couple years.

If you think calling a form of seaweed "irish moss" is weird, check out what brewers call "isinglass". I'll tell you this much: it is not a compressed sheet of mica crystals.

The thing about hazelnut extract is that it's not a standardized product like vanilla extract is. Any quality vanilla extract is about as potent as another. Hazelnut extract products are all over the map, and many of them are glycol based and I'm not sure i'm ok with that. the flavorganics product is alcohol based.

I also don't think you can steep munich malt either in case you were wanting to just steep the grains, someone else correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty sure you have to do a mini mash with it and hold it at around 150 for 30 minutes or so to get sugars out correctly.

Back