Rodenbach Grand Cru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
Interesting stuff!

I bought a 11.2 oz of this to try this evening and man this is cool stuff! I don't think I'd want it every day though lol. Pretty sour bite (reminds me of a shrub actually), followed by a strange mysterious 'aged' flavor that lingers and then fruit (raspberry notes) that lingers looong after you drink it. The color is a deep amber hue, medium carbonation levels. Cool stuff if you want to try something different!

Anybody else ever have this?

Yes, I love this beer. It does have an intense sourness and an acidic burn that builds in the back of your throat. Not as good a beer as it was a few years ago IMHO. Still the benchmark for the Flanders Red style though. Peter Bouchart, Rodenbach's former brewer is now at New Belgium in Ft. Collins CO. New Belgium has repurposed a few of the oak tuns from Rodenbach and is using them to age LaFolie.

Mmmm.... Dee-licious. I also love the Grand Cru and the Flanders Red style in general. It is, in fact, what I plan to do for my first AG.

Nice. I am seriously getting intrigued by the amazing variety of styles from Belgium lately. Well now that I 'discovered' a place where I can try one and not break the bank. Now for some Oak barrels....;)

zoebisch01 said:
Nice. I am seriously getting intrigued by the amazing variety of styles from Belgium lately. Well now that I 'discovered' a place where I can try one and not break the bank. Now for some Oak barrels....;)
You should come on in to Philly and go to Monk's. You can try all sorts of sour beers there. Then I can show you the oak barrel SWMBO got me for Christmas. :D She loves the Flanders style as well becuase they are similar on the palate to red wine (IMHO) but red wine gives her migraines.

The barrel is Hungarian oak and was a steal compared to what I see most places selling American and French oak for. It came from Vadai World Trade. I'm first going to use it for some kind of oak aged beer before I "infect" it with Belgian goodness.

trinitone said:
You should come on in to Philly and go to Monk's. You can try all sorts of sour beers there. Then I can show you the oak barrel SWMBO got me for Christmas. :D She loves the Flanders style as well becuase they are similar on the palate to red wine (IMHO) but red wine gives her migraines.

The barrel is Hungarian oak and was a steal compared to what I see most places selling American and French oak for. It came from Vadai World Trade. I'm first going to use it for some kind of oak aged beer before I "infect" it with Belgian goodness.

Hrmm next time I swing out that way, I just might have to :D

That Grand Cru is still in my mind.

Back