Robobrew 65L Outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothlarryhughes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 30A dryer outlet in my laundry room - 3 prong 10r-30, and a 3 wire on a 40amp breaker running behind my stove that is not in use (I use natural gas). Can the 65L robobrew run on both of these if I change the receptacle? I'd like to use the 40 amp circuit and brew in my kitchen.

Thanks!

You should install a GFCI breaker on whatever outlet you decide to use.

We switched from an electric to gas stove as well.

I ran power from the 50 amp breaker to a sub panel in the basement. I installed a 30 amp GFCI breaker in there to run power to use a 65L Brewzilla. I put in a couple of 120V lines to run a 35L Digiboil for sparge water. and an under sink hot water heater.

From what I've read in my own research, both on this forum and other places:

You can install a GFCI breaker in your main panel in place of the existing range or dryer breaker, OR put an inline GFCI cord or spa panel between the existing outlet and the Robobrew. With a 3-wire outlet and GFCI breaker in the panel, I believe you can only run 240 to the Robobrew; any 120 usage would trip the GFCI. If any 120 is required, a spa panel may be necessary to get the 120 input to the device.

I upgraded my dryer outlet to a 4-wire and installed a GFCI breaker ($82) in my main panel in place of the old dryer breaker which was unused.

Others with more electrical expertise should be able to clarify how best to GFCI protect an older 3-wire 240 circuit.

How did you plug the robobrew into the 4 prong outlet? It has a NEMA 6-30R plug.

3B4E1D368CA6B1C037B9E390DD337DC2.app1_1551155444664_L1800.jpeg

Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a robobrew, but I recently figured out how to apply GFCI protection to my dryer outlet for a controller that needs a 4-wire input. Since your robobrew is only 3 wires to begin with (hot, hot, ground), I assume it only uses 240, which means you should be able to replace your range or dryer receptacle with a NEMA 6-30 . I believe a GFCI breaker should work at the main panel, but you will not wire any neutral to the GFCI breaker.

Back