roasting grains covered in maple syrup before mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
Hello all, first time poster long time gawker. I have a friend who has an unlimited supply of Grade B maple syrup (family owns a maple syrup business). We are looking to experiment a little. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with roasting grains saturated in maple syrup (or honey) prior to mashing? Looking for tips and ideas before we dive into the experiment. Thank you in advanced!

I have a brown maple rye In the keg that turned out very good, but didn't impart much maple. Was looking for something that might give it that extra kick of maple without actually adding it to the keg.

Roasted grains and maple syrup...I'm hungry...when's breakfast? ;-)

We had discussed that there would be some astringent flavors from the roast. Were were thinking that maybe a lighter grain bill would help keep the beer from showing too much of an astringent flavor. (no dark malts)

I have a brown maple rye In the keg that turned out very good, but didn't impart much maple. Was looking for something that might give it that extra kick of maple without actually adding it to the keg.

Did you try adding the maple syrup cold side to the fermentor and priming with it? Ive found you can definitely get a decent amount that way

I added 1lb of maple syrup 24hrs into fermentation, then I added another lb just prior to cold crashing. There is some maple flavor, but I think the roasted malts and rye bill cover up alot of it. It is a fantastic recipe without the maple. I will definatley make it again but without the syrup. Prob should look for a recipe with a lower starting SRM if I'm going to use maple.

When considering these things, you have to really ask yourself, what do you expect to happen? Is the process you're planning going to create something different? Or is just malted grain and maple syrup, added separately, going to give you the same result? Is the coated grain going to get washed off enough by the wort and then have time to extract the sugars from the grain? Do you want carmelized or burnt maple sugar flavor? Do you want sticky maple sugar stuck to your mill? A lot of stuff like this looks good on paper but may actually detract from the flavor and hinder the brewing process.

I used this analogy in another similar thread..instead of spending $20/lb on that lemon infused sea salt, you're better off just using sea salt and squeezing a fresh lemon because it'll be cheaper and you can better control how much of each flavor you get.

I don't see how roasting the grains with syrup will alter the sugars that will be fermented.

I had success last spring with priming a keg of stout with VERY dark maple syrup.

Weezy, that is a good point on weather or not the grain will get washed off enough to convert to sugar. I would guess the effenciency would definatley suffer. Would their be any way of making the syrup less fermentable with out involving the grains? (heating it in the oven by itself somehow?) just trying to think outside the box since I'm not having to pay for the syrup. Thanks for all the responses!

I'm not sure you've really gotten across what you're hoping for? Basically maple flavor in the end beer? I've never used it so I can't say. Adding after a couple days of fermentation is done makes a lot of sense. You could maybe try cooking it down in a double boiler setup on the stove as well?

Back